Thread: Best laptop?

Default Best laptop?

Looking to score a laptop on black friday/ cyber monday. I havn't had one since college in 2009. What's the best one for surfing web, light office work like word, excel, etc. The wife and I will mostly use it for internet browsing, light office work and occasional streaming to tv. But i also don't want a slow lagging piece of junk. Trying to stay under $600.

I really like my surface pro.

Just my thoughts, I know your budget is $600. It is of my opinion that a $600 laptop that is windows based will be slow as hell in 4 years. Spend a little more and get the cheapest apple you can and it will last 3x as long. I have a Mac book pro that is 11 years old and runs as good as it did the day I got it.

I was only a PC guy until work sent me a mac. I'll never go back to a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Just my thoughts, I know your budget is $600. It is of my opinion that a $600 laptop that is windows based will be slow as hell in 4 years. Spend a little more and get the cheapest apple you can and it will last 3x as long. I have a Mac book pro that is 11 years old and runs as good as it did the day I got it.
    I just don't like to keep them long. There is no way you can convince me that every keystroke you make on an 11 year old computer isn't being shanghied by multiple hackers.

I haven't ventured into the apple computers. I'm stuck in my ways of windows I guess. But I'm with Woodiewacker...we got a surface for the boys school work and it's become my favorite laptop in the house.

looking for same use and come across this one.....i have iphone, but tech challenged and do not want to navigate the learning curve of office and/or whatever's required to work on Word and Excel files....i need something that's not going to crash and burn if i need to work from home soon

https://www.staples.com/hp-pavilion-...oduct_24441411

I'm only 30 and should have more " tech skills" than i do. If i were to go with a mac, what platforms do they have for spreadsheets, word documents, etc? How does that work on a mac?

The mac learning curve is a week, at most. Once you use one then go back to a PC you'll see how much PCs suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    I'm only 30 and should have more " tech skills" than i do. If i were to go with a mac, what platforms do they have for spreadsheets, word documents, etc? How does that work on a mac?
    I use Office 365 on mine. It's $99/yr. and comes with the entire Office suite plus 1TB of storage on OneDrive. I can use it on my phone, iPad, or Macbook Pro and can access any of my saved files remotely. A very small number of functions are limited or unavailable in some of the programs but nothing that seems to be a deal breaker after three years.

There are other free options out there which will cover most of the basic stuff.