Thread: Glock Tungsten Guide Rods

Default Glock Tungsten Guide Rods

What is the purpose/value of having a Tungsten guide rod in your Glock? And I assume their color coding is for different weight springs. What are the pros and cons of having a different spring strength - lighter vs heavier pull weight? Etc?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-24-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

A tungsten guide rod is heavier than the factory plastic, so it should (marginally) reduce felt recoil. The different recoil springs are used to "tune" a pistol. A heavier spring can reduce felt recoil... at the possible expense of reliability with certain ammo. You're looking for the heaviest spring the functions 100% of the time.

Unless you're handloading competition rounds I don't think it's worth the time, trouble and expense.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    A tungsten guide rod is heavier than the factory plastic, so it should (marginally) reduce felt recoil. The different recoil springs are used to "tune" a pistol. A heavier spring can reduce felt recoil... at the possible expense of reliability with certain ammo. You're looking for the heaviest spring the functions 100% of the time.

Unless you're handloading competition rounds I don't think it's worth the time, trouble and expense.
    I had forgotten that the OEM Glock guide rods were plastic since the last two handguns I'd taken apart had stainless rods in them. Thanks for the reminder.

I figured the spring strength was for load tuning, and am glad to hear that your thought on the wasted time for the average guy was what I thought I recalled comments from the past to be. It's been a long time since I spent any time on 'Glock Talk' and am a bit rusty on the extra details other than just 'making it go bang every time'.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Dont waste your money. Its not enough weight to matter. If you want to play with spring weights, buy a steel or stainless. Ive got a Wolff guide rod and springs in my 35. The difference in "muzzle flip" is minimal at best. I run a lighter spring for reliable function gamer loads. It doesnt matter what you do to a Glock its still a Glock. Better sights and a less shitty trigger is about as far as I go with one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Dont waste your money. Its not enough weight to matter. If you want to play with spring weights, buy a steel or stainless. Ive got a Wolff guide rod and springs in my 35. The difference in "muzzle flip" is minimal at best. I run a lighter spring for reliable function gamer loads. It doesnt matter what you do to a Glock its still a Glock. Better sights and a less shitty trigger is about as far as I go with one anymore.
    I hear you, FLS. Stainless is how I’ve gone in the past when I’ve changed one out. I also normally stick with stock springs.
    ~ George Washington