Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Days for ducks

Default SC DNR set Feb 6th/13th as Veterans Hunts

Just wanted to share in case any of my fellow military/ veterans did not get the memo...

SC DNR has set us up with 2 special days after the season closes that military and veterans can hunt on both Feb 6th and Feb 13th. These are the same as the Fed Youth Days, so weather cooperating it would be a great day for a father son team to get some bonus days in.

I'm REALLY looking forward to these days and even considering organizing a veterans hunt or two if I can find some willing land owners who will allow use of their resources.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-24-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Not against this at all, but a couple questions.

1. Is this even legal Federally?

2. What if SCDNR says "minority" hunters can hunt ducks during the month of February?

3. People who can prove lineage in SC on or before Dec 31, 1699 do not have to abide by duck limits.

Break out the shoe polish.
    DILLIGAF

I don't think that DNR can legally just start adding protected status to groups of American citizens on it's own. Maybe they can. If some ass decides to take it to court, the yutes could lose big...

This is federal thing JAB. POTUS Trump apparently signed this into law in his effort to MAGA. Setting Federal Military/Veterans Days was part of a bigger legislation.

https://www.hydesmith.senate.gov/hyd...ure-signed-law
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Thank you. I will check it out. Do vets have to purchase hunting licences or are they only exempt while active?

Tuesday, March 12, 2019
    HYDE-SMITH DUCK HUNTING SEASON MEASURE SIGNED INTO LAW

President Trump Signs Major Lands Bill, Which Includes Federal Duck Hunting Season Extension, Special Hunts for Vets, Military and Youths

WASHINGTON, D.C. – President Trump today signed into law a major lands bill that includes U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith’s legislation allowing states to extend duck hunting season to January 31 and to schedule special hunts for military, veterans, and youths.

The Natural Resources Management Act (S.47), which passed the Senate and House with overwhelming bipartisan support, is made up of public lands, natural resources, and water bills. The duck hunting provisions are based on the Migratory Bird Framework and Hunting Opportunities for Veterans Act (S.2942), the first bill Hyde-Smith introduced as Mississippi’s newest U.S. Senator.

“The President signing this bill caps a long-fought effort by sportsmen over the years to bring some common sense to how federal duck hunting seasons are scheduled,” Hyde-Smith said.

“States will now have the option to extend the season a few more days, which can make a difference both for hunters and small businesses. The fact we’ve also carved out special hunting sessions for military, veterans, and youths is an added and well-deserved bonus,” she said.

The new law amends the Migratory Bird Treaty Act to allow states to set migratory bird hunting seasons that extend to January 31. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service currently sets the federal deadline as the last Sunday in January, often disregarding recommendations from flyway councils to allow later closing dates.

Like Hyde-Smith’s legislation, the new law also authorizes states to set aside a two-day special hunt period for youths, and a separate two-day hunt open to veterans and active duty military. These special hunts may occur up to 14 days before or after the regular season framework. They would also be treated as separate from and in addition to the annual federal framework hunting season lengths.

Hunting, fishing, and wildlife watching had a $2.7 billion economic impact in Mississippi in 2018, with $1.14 billion attributed to hunting alone, according to the Mississippi State University Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine.

In signing S.47, President Trump also codified an effort sponsored by members of the Mississippi congressional delegation to designate the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Home in Jackson as a national monument within the National Park System.

I'm no lawyer, so forgive me but I'm not tracking... what does race have to do with military service?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was looking at how could SCDNR just hand out special exemptions for a federally controlled season, which they can't, to any group. Your link to the bill explains how it was done. Good on the President for signing it, good on the Senate for getting it there, and good on you for wanting to get it out there to as many vets as possible...

I see.

And I concur sir, good on the Feds for getting this through. It'll be interesting to see what the new leadership on Pennsylvania Ave will do to continue their effort to infringe on our 2A rights, but that's a whole separate conversation.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So, I have not served, but am thankful to those that have. Could I offer to carry a Vet or service member duck hunting if I do not shoot? Similar to carrying a youth.

Or if I had a pond, could I open it to them and only be there as a lease-holder?
    Last edited by justpracticin; 11-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

JP, I thought that as well. I'm going to contact DNR for clarification on that. I would imagine a non-mil/non-vet participating as a guide would get a pass so long as they do not shoot.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-24-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If were not using all of our allotted days, maybe there is room for special hunt days.

If a vet is disabled, can a non-vet take him hunting and not be hunting out of season? DNR has interpreted the law to suggest that that might be the casr.

In! Best thing I have heard all day
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Y’all keep me posted on this. I will gladly put a few vets in a good Woodie hole, that’s about all I’ve got.

NC has allowed vets to hunt the same day as the youth last year.

I am 100% for recognizing vets and providing them extra hunting days.

I am 100% against the days being the same.

Let youth have their days and give vets special days during the closed portion of the season.

NC also screwed up the youth season by ending the regular season on a Friday and the first youth day that Saturday. Absolutely zero rest for the birds which made the youth hunt a little more difficult.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

All of yall wanting to provide hunts for veterans look through my post history. I work with TFO and would gladly find you the vets!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

That'd be cool to get some offers for that program

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Thank you. I will check it out. Do vets have to purchase hunting licences or are they only exempt while active?
    Since when do active duty not have to purchase licenses. Unless something changes the only benefit I know of is that active duty pay resident prices in a state if they have active duty orders in that state.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 11-28-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

The rule on that is if the military member is permanently stationed outside of SC yet claims residency in SC, then comes home on leave, can hunt/fish in the state without having to purchase a SC license since they'll only be home for a brief period. But they they still have to purchase any required permits/tags, like deer, migratory birds, shrimp over bait, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]