Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Auto Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    PD, I have higher limits on all vehicles and an umbrella policy.
    What is the difference between letting your neighbor borrow your car and your child? Insurance company not going to cover it?
    Most insurance companies are going to require you to have a certain limits to have an umbrella.

You neighbor would not be listed on the policy. They would be a permissible driver. Your child is an exposure and needs to be rated as such since they have access to the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby, I sent you a text. Send me your email address. You can quote my whole policy if you'd like

I am constantly amazed at the number of folks who just don't understand how life works....

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Bobby, I sent you a text. Send me your email address. You can quote my whole policy if you'd like
    Got it. Thanks!

I'm playing devil's advocate. I will pay the cost of insurance. Thing is the insurance company would pay it. Every insurance company around here tells you to put your child on the cheapest vehicle you got. Heck, they have access to any vehicle in the yard. That is when you get into the primary and secondary driver thing, right?
    If the insurance follows the car and I have an umbrella policy, what am I missing? The lawsuit on the child that would fall on me?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I am constantly amazed at the number of folks who just don't understand how life works....
    It's like a busy 4 way stop sign. I go through one every morning, and every afternoon. You can tell a lot about society and a person by how they act at a 4 way stop sign...

I cuss, (under my breath) over half of them.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yeah, throw a roundabout at them and see what happens...

When my son left for Costa Rica I listed him as out of country and my premium dropped $630 A MONTH.
    DILLIGAF

I'm playing devil's advocate. I will pay the cost of insurance. Thing is the insurance company would pay it. Every insurance company around here tells you to put your child on the cheapest vehicle you got. Heck, they have access to any vehicle in the yard. That is when you get into the primary and secondary driver thing, right?
    If the insurance follows the car and I have an umbrella policy, what am I missing? The lawsuit on the child that would fall on me?
    The question is not with the insurance pay. The question is how much will they pay. If you put state minimums on that vehicle that is what’s going to pay out. And insurance company is not gonna let you put state minimums on a vehicle and then turn around and get an umbrella policy. That would put the majority of the risk on the insurance company and essentially have the insured have no skin in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 years ago, one of my sons was wuoted 20 k every 6 months, as far as the minimums, my broken ankle 2 years ago was 70k, that is a lot over the 25k minimum just for a broken ankle

Wait till he gets a violation or 2 on his record that $200 can easily double.
    Peep my post from a few years ago I was paying $540 a month at one time.
    Last edited by SWAMPLIFE z71; 11-24-2020 at 10:47 AM.

You have to remember the state minimums were created about 10 years ago or more. Think about how much inflation has changed since then. It would be stupid
    As shit for somebody to have the state minimum today!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I don't have state minimums now. What is the difference between letting my son drive or letting a friend borrow the truck?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cheap...b01ebeef0e4773

It's about the availability. A household member doesn't need permission to use a vehicle. The neighbor does need permission. Some policies have an exclusion or coverage reduction for household members that are not listed as drivers on the policy.

if that vehicle is in your name as a parent and your kid gets in a wreck you are still the one that is going to get sued. no way I would have a teenager driving around on minimum limits unless it was the only way to afford it. Insurance is not something to cheap out on... especially in this sue happy state. I get suit papers way too often.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Noguns19 View Post
    It's about the availability. A household member doesn't need permission to use a vehicle. The neighbor does need permission. Some policies have an exclusion or coverage reduction for household members that are not listed as drivers on the policy.
    THIS
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

I don't have state minimums now. What is the difference between letting my son drive or letting a friend borrow the truck?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cheap...b01ebeef0e4773
    Nothing, you'll still get sued though. What it boils down to is your kid is way more likely to drive your vehicle on a regular basis than your neighbor and insurance companies have gotten hip to the fact that with 4 cars on a policy but only 2 drivers listed on the policy and 4 licensed drivers in the house (say 2 of the teenage years) that those vehicles are being furnished for regular use.

One of my daughter's friends from HS was recently involved in a headon collision. Killed 2 and injured 2. What is that going to do to their Rates??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I hope nobody took me as an asshole, because I wasn't trying to be. I really didn't know the difference and I have read articles like the one I posted.

I’ve got 2 teenage drivers & feel your pain. 3 vehicles under my Progressive Policy & another under Haggerty cause it’s a 57 Chevy truck. My insurance a month is brutal. They both have good grades & have done the drivers Ed classes.