Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Auto Insurance

Default Teenage Auto Insurance

How much are you paying?

I got a quote yesterday that would increased my premium nearly $200/month

Is that right? Is that really the going rate to insure a teenager? Seems like when I was 16 I was paying like $50/month for insurance. Granted that was a long time ago but damn...
    Last edited by reeltight; 11-24-2020 at 08:33 AM.

If you are only paying $2400 a year for a male teenager, that is a deal. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Is that with teen and a vehicle?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

That was just adding a 16yo male to my existing policy

That’s very high. State Farm just did two of my friends sons they both were 140, 150 a month respectively. And that’s adding a car for each

Find a beater vehicle, with liability insurance only, and see if that helps a bit. Don't insure them on a nice vehicle with full collision coverage or you'll pay through the roof. At least that was my experience.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

For perspective, a 2k truck 20 years ago is a 10k truck today

Make em work and pay for 1/2 of it minimum.

Mine pay 1/2 car insurance, 100% of their phone bill, and any other bullshit they want. I help with gas and necessary stuff.

Keeps em honest.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Big question with this myself. I have always heard that SC requires any driver license holder to a have minimum coverage. Then you always put your child on the least expensive vehicle as the primary driver.
    The big question is this. Do you really need more than the legal requirement for your teenager? Say they wreck it, is that any different than your neighbor that you let use it? The insurance follows the vehicle , not the driver.

I'm getting ready to add R as a driver to our policy. I'm in the process of getting quotes, but it looks like ours will be going up somewhere around $120/mth. Hopefully my agent will come through with a little something better. She also gets a discount for good student, defensive driving, and Alive at 25...

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Big question with this myself. I have always heard that SC requires any driver license holder to a have minimum coverage. Then you always put your child on the least expensive vehicle as the primary driver.
    The big question is this. Do you really need more than the legal requirement for your teenager? Say they wreck it, is that any different than your neighbor that you let use it? The insurance follows the vehicle , not the driver.
    My daughter is listed as the driver on the vehicle with Liability only. I don't think that answers your question though.

Let me quote it lol. Youthful drivers are going to impact the premium no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the big question is are you that fucking stupid? Going cheap on liability insurance for minimum limits is the dumbest thing you can do financially. Yes you can stack coverages from your o5her cars on a bad accident you’re at fault for. But you can’t have an umbrella policy if you don’t have higher limits on your vehicles. Not having an umbrella Is also stupid AF! Your liability protects you and all your assets and future wages from a bad liability situation. Handled a claim way back when I did that where wreck wasn’t that bad but airbag went off and powder and bag exploded into lady’s eyes. Total and permanent loss of sight. What’s that worth? To me it’s worth a shit ton more than the min limits you chintz out and put on your kid’s car and all the limits on the rest of your cars too. Buy higher limits on liability, uninsured, and underinsured Coverages. That protects you. Add an umbrella. They’re not expensive. Skip comp and collision on an older car. Not that much savings but some. But don’t be stupid. Shit happens.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

This is not about a beater car/truck or kid paying their way etc. It's the sheer cost of it. But you can damn sure guarantee if what I'm doing works out, I'm not paying it or at least not all of it. I'm just the vehicle...a means to an end. A helping and loving hand per se.

For the heck of it, I think I come out better by dropping this particular vehicle from my regular policy and insuring it on it's own policy at Geico. If I take the Geico quote and subtract my current insurance premium for this vehicle out of it, I can get it down to $108/month

I f'n loathe insurance

I pay like 120ish for my oldest, older 4runner, straight A's, the nerdy driver class.. My son will be 200ish

That vehicle will be titled to you since a 16yo can’t own a vehicle and then when he rearends a ban full of kids it will be your problem. I wouldn’t want to count cheap ass insurance in that case.
    cut\'em

It’s not about just covering your vehicle. It’s about covering liability if you hit someone else. 25/50/25 is our state minimum liability limits. That means if you hit someone, the insurance is going to pay 25k per person for bodily injury and 50k bodily injury per claim. The last number (25k) is property damage

Going with state minimums sets you up for a disaster situation if you or your child gets in an at fault accident. Those limits aren’t going far and guess who the attorney is going after for the remainder damages. 25k is going far if someone winds up in the hospital for an extended stay nor will 25k cover half of replacing a new 70k vehicle.

Which brings me to my last point. Make sure you are carrying underinsured. You would be terrified to know how many people are driving around with state minimum coverages. Yes in theory you can sue them, but if they have no assets to cover the losses/damages, you are screwed.

Wait until you have two teens insured.

PD, I have higher limits on all vehicles and an umbrella policy.
    What is the difference between letting your neighbor borrow your car and your child? Insurance company not going to cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I f'n loathe insurance

I pay like 120ish for my oldest, older 4runner, straight A's, the nerdy driver class.. My son will be 200ish
    Let me get you them discounts.