Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Over Deer

Default The Over Deer

Not a stud – 2 ½ year old 8-point 148 lbs but it’s the first deer with the Express.

It should have been the Under Deer but when I pulled the trigger the first time it just clicked. I reset the safety and took a high shoulder shot with the Over barrel and he dropped in his tracks. It was one of those shots where the back end of the deer dropped and pulled the front half down with it.

I opened the gun and the ejectors shot the empty brass and the not-fired cartridge over my shoulder and into ankle-deep water in the oak flats. I reloaded in case the deer got up but he didn’t. After getting down I couldn’t find either brass in the slurry of pine straw, oak leaves, mosquito larvae and tannic water so I didn’t know whether it was the gun or the shell that had misfired.

When I got to the deer he was gasping so I decided to test the firing mechanism on the under barrel and finish the deer off at the same time. It worked on both accounts so I’m pretty convinced that it was just a bad bullet.

One of the worn-out cliches that guys tell themselves when springing for a double is that the gun can shoot a fast follow-up if the first barrel doesn’t go off. I guess that’s better than a fast follow-up if the first shot is a clean miss or a gut shot.

I really don't know what's going on, though. The deer was fat as a pig, his neck wasn't swollen and he didn't stink. Did I miss the rut or did it not happen yet?

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Nice deer

"The over undeer". Handsome deer for a handsome firearm.

Nice write up. Not sure about the rut. Had six does and two bucks in front of us last night. The 2.5 year old had zero interest in the does. The 3.5 year old nosed around a little bit it seemed the does were more interested in him than he was of them.
    Carolina Counsel

That's a super slick rig and a great kill with it partner. Great job. I think the rut is winding down pretty hard in most places save a few late fragrants. Invariably I get daylight buck pictures at scrapes around 12/15- 12/17 so there may be one more push if your areas are like mine but it will be full duck syndrome by then.
    Genesis 9;2

Default The Over Deer

RH - you stated you reset the safety. How so? I'm assuming it's a single trigger with inertia switch. Did you have to bang on the butt or open the breach?
    I ask because when one of my 686s had a broken inertia switch I had to strike the stock butt to fire the upper barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by boondoggle; 11-23-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Good buck.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    RH - you stated you reset the safety. How so? I'm assuming it's a single trigger with inertia switch. Did you have to bang on the butt or open the breach?
    I ask because when one of my 686s had a broken inertia switch I had to strike the stock butt to fire the upper barrel.
    Right - because it's an inertia trigger it won't drop the second hammer if the recoil from the first shot doesn't happen. With the Browning guns all you have to do is work the safety switch back and forth once to prepare the second barrel to fire. You can, but don't have to, use the safety to switch the barrel selector.

Nice job and great looking rifle. I witnessed a 60-70lb button buck ...with nubs not even breaking the hair line... visit a scrape and pee on his hocks this past Friday. Every buck I’ve seen in the last month has seemed rutted up.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

We are still getting photos of Bucks with does. Saw some chasing in Bamberg Sat PM and Sunday AM during the 20% chance of rain , rain.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Great photo RH! Congrats !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Very cool!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

That's a beaut!

Good Stuff

I need more details on that gun.

Do tell.....

dead deer

the rut talk is silly! sitnking. not rutting. chasing. etc etc etc.

Its november in SC.

How did this fit on the rh moon phase calendar///
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Great photo

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    I need more details on that gun.

Do tell.....
    Sorry - I've been out and don't know how to post a link from my phone or tablet...thanks for asking, though...

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...94-Double-Deer

Damn fine piece of artwork...I mean gun! I am a Browning man too, and that is a gem.

It finally dried up enough to find the misfired cartridge. I'm feeling better that it was the cartridge not the gun that caused the misfire.