Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Archery Deer

Default First Archery Deer

My good buddy Deacon as been after me to get into bow hunting. I have almost done it a few times the last couple years but just never did. He said it was the closet to our beloved turkey hunting you could get with deer. Another good buddy, YoungbuckTX, gifted me a bow mid September. It was an older Browning. I practiced a good bit and one evening the string broke and I was told it was not worth fixing. Not sure where I fit in here as I went bought a mid grade Bear bow package and got to practicing. Not a Matthews but a brand new bow.

I have had 3 bucks in range this year but light conditions and trash stopped the shot. Last Friday eve I had a big 10 point at 30 yards but in trash with no shot. His 6th scent kicked in and I watched him stroll off into my dreams. Kind of glad he was not my first with a bow as he would be hard to top.

Any way Saturday morning I got in the stand and had a buck come out around 7:00 am. He has in range but not my lane. After about 10-15 minutes of an agonizing wait and he stepped in my lane. I drew back and got caught at full draw. Had to hold in awkward position for what felt like a hour but was probably 10 seconds or so. He dropped his head so I put it on him and squeezed release. Well I shot him high but he dropped. It hit the spine so he could not go anywhere. I knocked another arrow and got a second shot where I hit the heart, he died quickly after that. Very proud of this deer and cannot wait to continue bow hunting them. Was a true rush and made me feel like that rookie all over again. Was a great hunt all the way around as the woods were alive. Heard wood ducks flying to the river, birds were singing their song, squirrels were doing their thing, turkeys were calling, and even heard a couple gobbles.

Now that I have killed a couple bucks, one with my middle son and this one, I am going to focus on a couple bigger deer I have on camera. Pressure is off to kill one with a bow so I am going to relax there on out. Been hearing and seeing turkeys pretty regular as well so I always have them to get a smile from and hogs are showing up kind of regular as well so I may can shoot one of them.

Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Congrats. Bowhunting can get addictive.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good stuff, congrats.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Congrats, kind sir. Great story, great nerves of steel to hold at full draw and get it done.

Awesome!
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

well done. Glad you get it. Nice to be close and not have a chance to close the deal. Most hunters dont get to see deer do deer stuff bc they are busy sniping them from hundreds of yards away.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fantastic, congrats!

Good stuff, getting busted on the draw and successfully waiting it out and making the shot is what makes it exciting. Well done!

good stuff. nice post
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Congrats

Very nice!

He looks like a pretty big deer as well.

Good for you!

Very cool indeed.

Yessir...beautiful spot to kill a deer.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Congratulations.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Hellyeah!

Nice! Congrats!

Congrats on a great buck Batman.

Way to go D.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Congrats on a great buck Batman.
    I was looking forward to the comments on the face paint and this is the best one I have gotten.

Probably do not need it in the morning with the sun direction on this stand, but my fat cheeks, big forehead, and high hair line shines like a light house when the sun is beaming on it. I truly think that is what the big 10 pt saw when he turned as I was not wearing any thing on my face or head.
    Last edited by davisd9; 11-24-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Thanks everyone!