Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ringnecks

Default Ringnecks

Relatively new to duck hunting, I’m looking for advise on targeting Ringnecks. Where’s the best place to kill them lakes or Swamps? Do they like motion on the water or spinning wing decoys? What’s a good number of decoys in a spread targeting Ringnecks? Just looking for any advice that I can get.

Oh boy...
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Look for food that ringnecks eat. That's where you can find ringnecks. And yes, spinning wing decoys will work on them.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

2-300 decoys on floating mats, 3 or 4 spinning wings, couple butt feeders, lots of movement, to be safe I’d probably put out 100 or so coot decoys as well. I have GPS coordinates to some really good spot if you want them. Oh yeah, and don’t forget your camo 12 gauge with the #heybo sticker on the barrel in white letters.

#meatstick

Those are awesome

Scout. If you are hunting on public water, look for submerged aquatic vegetation. It can help to find grass but the scouting is key to finding where they want to be. If you scout and are in the right spot, you won’t need many decoys. If you are just going to set up on some main lake point and try to pull birds in, run as many as you can/want to put out. Look into long lines and creating your own mats to streamline your process. Contrasting colors stick out so run black and white decoys (you can figure out which species...). Spinning wing decoys can help or hurt, just depends on how tired the birds are or how late in the season it is. If you are new to duck hunting, find someone who isn’t to take you. If birds come in and it looks too far away to hit them, it is. Don’t set up within several hundred yards of someone. If they beat you to your spot, too bad. Get up earlier next time.
    Formerly DM88

Try to be on or near big water when they move in on a weather front. Before they find the big roost and the impoundments...

I’m feeling generous tonight.

All divers loaf on big water at some point during the day.... damn near every day.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    #meatstick
    I've actually seen somebody with that sticker.

Back in the day Lake Murray was a giant body of water jungle, engulfed in hydrilla. Everybody and their brother had 2 dozen Mallard decoys set out in no particular pattern. Most everyone would kill the piss out of Ring Necks under the circumstances and it made bad duck hunters look like they should have their own duck hunting show and/or guide service.

On the flip side, deep flooded corn holes I've seen attract so many Ring Necks that it looked like one just disturbed a bee hive.

2-3 dozen Ring Neck specific decoys set up in a “J” pattern where you can find a hood food source will absolutely give you more than enough opportunity to shoot all you want and more. Enough so that you may have to fight off the crowds by hanging lanterns all along the banks to keep people from setting up on top of you.

Good Luck
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I've actually seen somebody with that sticker.
    Yea and it more than likely was referring to the song about the dance

It’s Time for the Meatstick!

Enoree waterfowl area, just ask Squatty

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    Back in the day Lake Murray was a giant body of water jungle, engulfed in hydrilla. Everybody and their brother had 2 dozen Mallard decoys set out in no particular pattern. Most everyone would kill the piss out of Ring Necks under the circumstances and it made bad duck hunters look like they should have their own duck hunting show and/or guide service.

On the flip side, deep flooded corn holes I've seen attract so many Ring Necks that it looked like one just disturbed a bee hive.

2-3 dozen Ring Neck specific decoys set up in a “J” pattern where you can find a hood food source will absolutely give you more than enough opportunity to shoot all you want and more. Enough so that you may have to fight off the crowds by hanging lanterns all along the banks to keep people from setting up on top of you.

Good Luck
    What part of what lake has a food source left?????
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    Enoree waterfowl area, just ask Squatty
    What happened to squatty? ��
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    Enough so that you may have to fight off the crowds by hanging lanterns all along the banks to keep people from setting up on top of you.
    That made me laugh. Who would do such a crazy thing?

Squatty laying it down!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Fuck a ringneck I’d rather eat shoe leather. A waste of a good shell.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    What part of what lake has a food source left?????
    Hell if I know I don’t waste my time trying to duck hunt in SC anymore. But if you spend more time outdoors looking and less time on the internet or no your phone you might find some.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    That made me laugh. Who would do such a crazy thing?
    I know a few guys