Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Collarbone Learning to Shoot Opposite Shoulder Question

Default Broken Collarbone Learning to Shoot Opposite Shoulder Question

So, the Georgia red clay washed out, then grabbed my dirt bike’s front tire last week and “ended predictably.” A broken clavicle and four fractured ribs later, I am in a six week healing and twelve week recovery. So, as not to lose the season, my thoughts have led me to learn to shoot left handed/shouldered perhaps a twenty auto.

Any experience with such an endeavor by anyone on here? My orthopedic grimaced at the prospect but almost blessed the effort. What say you the unwashed gathering of heathens that are The SCDUCK’rs?

Any help is genuinely appreciated, the best, most current medical standard of care is a simple sling, no braces, no surgery, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and ice every two hours for fifteen minutes, no heat. MG

MODERATORS: I really did not want to post the pic with my birthdate but cannot figure out how to change, if you could delete the one with birthdate I would appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 11-25-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

I've shot a rifle a lot left handed stationary. Only tried the shotgun earlier this year shooting clays. It wasn't that difficult for me shooting going away or coming to... Swinging was slower and not as accurate but I think with a little practice it would be acceptable. Anything would be better than sitting it out.

Hope you heal well and in a hurry.

You did a good job of it I will give you that. Good Luck
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Disregard my post thought this was deer related
    Last edited by hunterjw; 11-22-2020 at 01:21 PM.

I wouldn’t change shoulders. I would practice shooting with the stock under my armpit. You’d be surprised how much you can hit that way. A little practice and you’ll be killing stuff.

What are you afraid of? Someone getting you a birthday present?

Just delete the second pic since they really show the same thing.

Tough break... no pun intended.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Substitute this one for your second pic.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    What are you afraid of? Someone getting you a birthday present?
    This is funny
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

For what it's worth, I tried to fix the image.. I couldn't. I suck at things like that. My one and only computer class we were transiting from green and black "Oregon Trail" to color.

Mash control alt delete.. I can't do it on my phone..

About the shooting I've watched a my cousin break clays from the hip and with a gun turned sideways while being capable of out shooting some guys I've seen.

I mean, I can I guess, I've just never had the reason to try.. I have watched my dad kill five redheads from the hip in two passes..
    Last edited by Highstrung; 11-22-2020 at 07:58 PM.

When I was a tike I once saw a guy with no arms play a piano with his feet on an episode of That’s Incredible.

Go for it man.

What Fish Said!!! Been there. I f there is a will there is a way.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

shit hurts. it'll hurt a little more after you shoot. just do it and handle the repercussions.

its how you're living life. Why change??

its like a broken toe. hurts to walk on but you're gonna walk on it....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

They don't do surgery when its that jacked up?

surgery what? that bones moves a lot. it looks cool on an xray but i bet the ribs hurt worse.

and he's old. you dont fix old people.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    surgery what? that bones moves a lot. it looks cool on an xray but i bet the ribs hurt worse.

and he's old. you dont fix old people.
    You are spot-on about the ribs. they hurt like a bastard. My thoughts are if I can shoot from my left shoulder this season with a 20 auto then it will allow me to just use my right hand for balance. I begged my doctor for surgery but he wants to wait until after three weeks to see how it is healing. So right now, no hunting, no golf, no mx riding, WTF is a man to do (other than gain weight and be frustrated.) Could be worse, I took a pretty good head knocker and mild concussion.

Dr. says I cannot raise my hand above my head until late next week at earliest so short of shooting pistol style, even left-handed is out. Seriously no one on here has been through this before as an adult? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I have except it was my leg. In a cast for 6-months and it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Seriously no one on here has been through this before as an adult? MG
    same thing happened to the guy i duck hunt with. Mountain bike. he did have surgery. I thought he was out for the season, but he decided to shoot from left shoulder. Slow opener, so hasn't shot a ton (and hit nothing), but hasn't had an issue with it so far, as far as pain goes. his is not as fresh though.
    Last edited by everlast; 11-23-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

You bring the dog, I'll let you use a 28.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.