Thread: 5k PR

Default 5k PR

Set a new 5k PR today at the Bohicket Half Marathon/5k. 18:05 was my official time but I think it was closer to 18:10 (I'm 42). I think I had a decent shot at sub 18 if I had someone close to my own speed to chase. 1st and 2nd place were 25 year olds that ran low 16:xx, way out of my league. I caught 3rd place at mile 1 and the watch beeped 5:46. It was a 14-15 year old kid, I told him to make it stick but he fell off soon after. He ended up 19:xx. I basically ran the last 2 miles solo. I've ran a ton of miles this year (for me +2100) and even did some riding (800-1000). Finally convinced myself I'm ready for a marathon, signed up for the Myrtle Beach Marathon first weekend of March. Previous years I've only managed around 1300 miles due to shin splints. Taking time off to heal and riding the bike helped me get through my injuries.

Good deal, I’m 43 and and working to loose weight, down about 60 pounds at the moment. But I’ll probably never been in that kind of shape. Congratulations.

Man that’s flying. Have you always run close to that? I have a dream of sub 20. I did a 22:30 trail run a few weeks ago. I ran a 20:15 in college but never trained. I’m 35 now and have run a couple halfs, but have no desire for a marathon. I don’t know if you have read “run less, run faster” but it did wonders to keep me from injury. It sounds like you are probably on the same track with adding in the bike. Congrats on the time, gives me hope

Thanks. I started running at 37. It took a few months of steady running to break 20. Once I was running +35 miles per week for a while I got down into the 18's. My previous PR was 18:17 a year and a half ago. Most recent 5k was around 18:30 last spring. It's hard to get PR's now, I stagnated around mid 18 for a while but could never stay healthy enough to keep the training up. I now normally run 45-60 miles per week. I try to follow the 80/20 method. I probably keep it more like 85/15. I used to run all my runs around 8:00 pace except workouts. I now run easy/recovery runs much slower (8:20-9:00). I feel that helps me recover better and I'm still able to get in 1 or 2 decent workouts per week.

Solid work.

Dirty Myrtle puts on a good race. Ran the half there last year. The wind was brutal. 10-15 mph with 20 mph gusts the entire race.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Dang. that is a respectable time for sure at your age.

I was once fleet of foot. I ain't running now unless someone is shooting at me.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.