Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Morning in the woods

Default Nice Morning in the woods

216 lbs. just over 18” inside spread. Love got him killed. He was chasing two does hard. About 6:40 the two does popped out running pretty hard, they both stopped and looked back. I figured there was a buck behind them, but couldn’t see through the thick brush. He popped through the first opening and I could tell he was a good one. I repositioned to the next opening where I thought he would give me a shot and he cleared the 10 yard gap in less than a second. I had one more smaller gal about 8 feet where I knew it would be my last chance before he hades into the super thick stuff where the does went. I took a chance at timing it right, and let out my best Ric Flair “whooo” and he stopped right in that gap for a split second and I had enough time to put the .270 right on the high shoulder. Shot went straight through the heart, and I heard him crash just down from where he was shot.
    After I sat there for a minute or two letting things calm down when the same two does came back out still running hard. There was another 8 point on them, slightly smaller, but still a great buck. They zig zagged their way through the thick brush providing me with the entertainment I needed to calm my emotions. I waited another 30 minutes or so just to make sure I gave him time to expire and climbed down to see “ground gainage” which is way better than ground shrinkage!!!
    2020 has been a rough year for all of us, and I’m no different. I’ve hunted with my now 73 year old father for the last 30 years. He experienced a heart attack back in September, and although the quadruple bipass was a success, he had a series of strokes through the process. He has recently come out of an 8 week coma, and has a voice box in his trach which allows him to speak some. He is a mere shell of himself, some days not even knowing who I or my mom is. I would have given anything for him to have been there with me this morning, but I’m thankful he’s here at all, and I can’t wait to tell him the story. It’s funny how the outdoors can put people with you even when they are not able to be there physically, but I heard him talk years ago about stopping a buck with the Ric Flair “whooo” and that was the first thing I thought of as soon as the ring of the rifle dissipated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Nice buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

,awesome deer , cant replace memories but you can make new ones,keep on keeping on be strong brother

looks like should have gotten in the stand this morning, good buck

Dang right. Great buck. Congrats to you.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

COngrats

Very nice. I've yet to sniff a tree stand this year. My daughters and their activities have had me tied up, but I won't complain.

Congrats buddy

Great deer and even better story. You dad will be proud. Whooooo!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Very nice. Congrats!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Give your dad my best

Very Nice!

Nice!

Keep at it!

Great buck!

Wow, stud WTBD!

Woo!

Good grief and what a beautiful buck. Congratulations! Something to be proud of for sure.

Great buck!