Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The .243 for Deer...

It’s a fun round, killed a bunch of deer and hogs with one. I just prefer something on deer that’s more likely to leave an exit. Hogs, who cares, I’d shoot one in the ass with a BB gun if I thought it’d get gangrene and die.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    if I thought it’d get gangrene and die.
    It wouldn't. It would just roam around with maggots falling out of the wound making you want to puke when some kid whacks it and you have to drag it off a month later...

Whenever I take a rifle most of the time it's a savage 110 youth in 243. Fits my t-rex arms good and I can usually see the impact due to no recoil. I use the 85gr. Federal Trophy copper. The only complaint that I really have with these loads in the .243 is that they leave a small exit hole whenever shot behind the shoulder. Kills the deer fine, but doesn't leave much of a blood trail.

80 gr ttsx or 100gr Nosler Partition and it does fine. I have one that has been in my family for a couple generations and I let one of my sons kill a deer with it every year just to keep the tradition alive. Shoot a quality bullet and your good to go.

100gr Nosler Partition for me. My .243 has killed more deer than any other rifle I have.

Posted this before, all these were .243 kills (not turkeys). Furthest I’ve tried has been around 250yd. Was my first deer rifle and used it many years. Last loads I’ve used have been 95gr win silver tips. IMO you better hit close in vitals.
    6C720279-8845-4AA8-8D8A-A57309EF0806.jpg
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think I remember you posting that before. Doesn’t fail to impress this time either. Wow
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Not knocking the choice of caliber but I prefer a good bit more for a bear hunt , she is a killer

1,000 yrds...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

100 grain Win. CXP2 found it's mark again tonight on this heavy 8 at about 225 yards DRT. I've never had any issues of them not going all the way through and leaving a good exit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

I have consistently killed sc whitetails out to 300 yards with a 243. I handload nosler BT 95 gr at modest velocity. Put the bullet where it counts and you should have no worries. People kill elk with a 243 every year.

My daughter has killed four deer. Two of them were shot with .243. Both of them were DRT. She's a good shot though. Don't know if your old behind could hang with her

My favorite deer caliber is the .243.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Thanks for the great responses and info.

It looks like I need to find some range time again to confirm the POI and groupings of the different brands of ammo I have. I recently sighted in the new (to me) scope with SAKO 100 grain Gamehead soft points, which is supposedly what’s used to verify their rifles at the factory.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Posted this before, all these were .243 kills (not turkeys). Furthest I’ve tried has been around 250yd. Was my first deer rifle and used it many years. Last loads I’ve used have been 95gr win silver tips. IMO you better hit close in vitals.
    6C720279-8845-4AA8-8D8A-A57309EF0806.jpg
    Nice looking wall.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Nice looking wall.
    His whole house is basically a trophy room
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Spur, those brow tines though!!

Woodie your choice is fine, as mentioned Elk and Bear have fallen to the 243 and well beyond Chucks intel.
    Genesis 9;2

I just got my old 243 back from rp. Wish i could find a few boxes of 100gr corelokts. They were everywhere when i didnt have one and now nowhere to be found. Love a 243. Shoot em where you are supposed to and they dont go far
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Every deer I've seen shot with a .243 either dropped where it stood, or maybe kicked themselves 5' from where they were shot. Granted, all bullets were placed correctly.

It's more than adequate in capable hands.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I have been doing the high shoulder shot the last couple of years...works great. 30.06 though. Have you guys seen a 243 slip above the vitals and below the spine? Run off and leave no blood?