Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The .243 for Deer...

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I’m not hating on the ones who like me but I just don’t want to track a deer, so, I’d prefer to put the hammer down on them. 300 WSM for me or I’ll drop back the .270 sometimes. I know it if you hit them right with the 243 it doesn’t matter but recoil is a non issue when you are actually hunting. To each his own.
    You have a point but the flinching isn't learned from hunting with a big recoil rifle; it's from sighting in and practicing. The subconscious mind remembers that and can compensate against your own will. Trying not to flinch then gets worse when you start trying too hard not to.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I have been doing the high shoulder shot the last couple of years...works great. 30.06 though. Have you guys seen a 243 slip above the vitals and below the spine? Run off and leave no blood?
    No, those “void” shots have resulted in a deer dropping right there. May have needed a follow up shot. We were green when we started deer hunting, no family tradition of it. An uncle had a .243 so my father got us a couple. We did our tour using conventional bullet loads and 100gr was the threshold. Lighter and you’d get fragmentation on bone. I’m not talking 200+ Midwest bucks, just sc deer. I’ve heart shot a buck through the lower scap at 75 yards and had three holes in entrance side and one exit. Front half of 100gr bullet basically splattered. Exit holes usually are smaller than other calibers so less blood. My personal preference these days is a .308. It’s a nice flat shooting low recoil caliber and if you can hit your mark it’s more than enough. Newer bullets these days have improved performance, the 80gr Barnes etc and have made up a lot of the shortcomings on blood trails. Just some opinions.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 12-03-2020 at 08:33 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

7-08 most of the time for me
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have seen deer drop, lay there a second, hop up and leave. No blood trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I have seen deer drop, lay there a second, hop up and leave. No blood trail.
    That means you hit them in the wrong spot. If you shoot em right they don't get up and leave.

308 is a damn fine deer cartridge.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

It’s fine if you shoot a 243. Just don’t come on Scducks and brag about it, or pose with rotten deer carcasses.

I'm sure a 5" weener has knocked many a woman up too..

But if you could buy a 9 3/4" hammer, why wouldn't you?

"Any body have a dog, i just shot a monster with my pellet gun and I can't find any blood"
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post

"Any body have a dog, i just shot a monster with my pellet gun and I can't find any blood"
    Bwahaha good stuff!!

There may indeed be a connection between what rifle we purchase and feelings of inferiority.

My buddy killed a stud of an antelope with a 6 Creedmoor, same power as a 243, just shy of 600 yd. 107 ELDM (target bullet) I watched the trace thru the spotter all the way in. The buck just crumpled. He’s killed some big bodied muleis with that same combo. So the idea that it isn’t enough for out wormy woods goats at a fraction of that distance is laughable. There isn’t a deer in NA the the 243 wont kill the piss out of. Shitty shooting, not bullet performance or caliber is the culprit 99 times out of 100. That’s a hard pill for to some to swallow.
    A fellow named George Gardner ( GA Precision) beat the piss out of everyone for several years with a fast twist 243 shooting what would become PRS matches.

Shot a huge ugly 6 pt (22" spread) in MS last week with .243 when carrying it to the stand for my nephew. Didn't exit, but the bullet was just under the skin. I thought it was a tick at first when I felt it. Didn't matter, cause he only ran 40 yards and crashed.

W33...I’m sure if you shoot it a lot on the range I would agree with you. Once sighted in, I don’t shoot that 300 WSM on the range for pleasure. I check it periodically but just to be sure. Again, valid point but I like to see them fall and don’t like to do a lot of tracking. I shoot my .270 a lot too. I just don’t think the .243 is significantly less recoil so why not shoot a bigger caliber.
    Last edited by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER; 12-03-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post

Don't people say the same thing about jacked up trucks, big boats and men with small weiners...

I don’t have a big boat, or a jacked up truck...

But my crank and my rifle are bigger than yours.. Apparently
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-05-2020 at 04:52 PM.