Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still balance your checkbook

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I don't think I have ever balanced a check book. Never had a joint account either.
    Me neither. Shouldn't have gotten a joint account either. Anyone who is getting married I always give them that advice
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I pay cash for almost everything

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Me neither. Shouldn't have gotten a joint account either. Anyone who is getting married I always give them that advice
    Why?

Yep, people like cash. We have this cash discussion like every other year. If you're dealing with people that don't then someone's life is too regulated. It's not my position to judge them.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Why?
    Seems like every couple I know who has had a divorce has been a result of arguing about money and joint accounts.

Most problems in marriage evolve from money. We simplified it in our first year. My wife and I have separate accounts. We rarely talk about it, only when I'm like "nope" on something. It's trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Most problems in marriage evolve from money. We simplified it in our first year. My wife and I have separate accounts. We rarely talk about it, only when I'm like "nope" on something. It's trust.
    Smart man. I should have done the same. My wife and I rarely argue about money but there could always be a time

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    where do you get parts for your covered wagon for when you hitch up to go to town to buy the kids their yearly shoes?

I do carry cash. Haven't had a land line in 15 + years.

and no, dont balance checkbook. I write one check per year for iptay. Everything else is electronic. I go over electronic statement.
    I have internet, check cards, i phone. No covered wagon but I have back up if I need it. Power and batteries don't always hold up.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    That's interesting. I think the best thing we ever did for our marriage was to share finances. I know it can be a source of discord, but it's been great for us. Also helps that neither of us are big spenders.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    That's interesting. I think the best thing we ever did for our marriage was to share finances. I know it can be a source of discord, but it's been great for us. Also helps that neither of us are big spenders.
    Same here. We have a number we can spend without talking to one another and over that we discuss. I do the financial things but when I get the book together we sit down to talk it over so there is no misunderstanding. Two became one when we married so we try to work as a team. Others have other ways that work for them and that is fine.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Separate accounts and all doesn't matter A non contested divorce don't give a shit. 50% of assets and 50% shared debt. So when one runs up "cards" on their separate account, the other is still responsible for half.

Trust....but verify

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Same here. We have a number we can spend without talking to one another and over that we discuss. I do the financial things but when I get the book together we sit down to talk it over so there is no misunderstanding. Two became one when we married so we try to work as a team. Others have other ways that work for them and that is fine.
    Same here. My wife and I joined our accounts as soon as we got married. Jan 1 will be 10 years. EVERY couple will at some point argue about money, but we both are pretty responsible when it comes to spending/saving so its really never been an issue with us. Most of my friends keep separate accounts in their marriages and look at me like I'm retarded when they learn that we keep one joint account. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

when we first got married, we had 3 accounts: mine, hers and a "business account" to pay bills. We each took our single bills and put that much money in the business account. It actually grew pretty quick an we moved a % to savings.

She eventually did away with hers and rolled it into the joint account. I still have my account that is my allowance money that I put a little into each paycheck. If I want to save up and buy a gun or some other item, I use that. That way I dont have to ask permission and the mortgage payment wont bounce because one of you bastards posted something cool for sale. I also use it to take us out to dinner and vacation spending money etc.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I don't do it for our checking account because it's mainly an inactive account, only used to pay off the credit card every month. However, with the credit card, which we pay everything on except the mortgage, every transaction is hand entered into Ramsey's every dollar. It's not "balancing" a checkbook but it's definitely a way to look at and log every transaction. Also caught credit card fraud this this to the tune of about $1200. Citi credited the account immediately. My wife and I sit down and do it together every Sunday night.
    Last edited by reeltight; 11-20-2020 at 03:20 PM.

My wife is a former Regional Controller for a restaurant chain, and then a Financial Analyst for two companies, when she got fed up with using Lotus/Excel. She still likes to write checks with paper bills for most things, although over time I've convinced her that in some cases it makes sense to have some bills paid electronically.

I manage the investing, she handles the home expense accounting, and I handle my own business accounting. For the most part it works well, and would work better if I was still getting paid my old corporate $$$'s.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Never understood the separate account thing. It’s all family money. Not sure what you gain from having separate accounts.

Both of our names on everything since 1981. Seems to be working so far.

My wife and I never fight about money. But we sure fight about everything else.

I can’t spend the interest on my checking account yearly. That’s why we have CPA’s.

We have 1 acct, wife just swipes and depends on me to make sure it’s there, she’s not a big spender and rarely even
    looks at the accts. I buy crap all the time and she never says much until it’s her turn to buy something, then she brings up everything I’ve bought in the last year. Weird how they can remember that shit when they want to. Lol