Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push start a Deere 5065E?

Default Push start a Deere 5065E?

I need to replace the starter on my tractor. It has a loader that might make it very hard to get to the starter. It might be necessary to remove the loader and unbolt the bracket on one side. That's going to be really hard without hydraulics. The tractor has "power reverser" that lets you shift from forward to reverse without clutching. The power reverser function seems to be actuated electronically. Does anyone know if it is possible to push start this tractor? I'm going to have to drag it out of a connex box to work on it and I might try to tow it and crank it with a push (pull) start. Once started, I can remove the loader that has QD mounts and couplings.

My other thought is to possibly couple my log splitter hydraulic pump to the remote takeoff to power the hydraulics on the whole tractor. Would that work?

I got 5075E in which I just changed the starter, check out the website Complete Tractor for really good deal on starters. Not sure on the push start.

Thanks for the reply.

Further research says push start on a power reverser is a big no.

I ordered a starter off of Amazon from DB Electrical for $150 delivered in three days.

Does your 5075 have a loader? If so, can the starter be reached without removing the bracket?

Any idea if the hydraulics can be remotely powered?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-14-2024 at 08:39 AM.

Forgive me for sounding like 2th, Lord please help me, but have your tried calling your local Deere dealership for info? OR are they not helpful?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

My take. I bet its a simple issue if not a loose wiring connection or the keyswitch. Especially on open station tractors. Cant really screw driver test the JD starters as the have shrouds preventing this but a piece of jumper cable can prove out the issue. If found bad, have the existing starter rebuilt at local auto electric shop. If not feasible to rebuild, they will have a purchase option. Dealers are not always the highest priced on an item.

No, on the hydraulics being remotely operate. Just isn't that feasible. If you need loader up in the air then just crack hydraulic lines on lift cylinders and lift it up with another piece of equipment. Install stiff knee on the cylinders and let it rest on those for safety.
    Last edited by Smilee; 03-14-2024 at 09:33 AM.

I've been through all the simple tests. From all I've read, it's a common issue with these tractors. I already have the replacement starter.

The shroud comes off with two nuts. I may be able to short the starter but the solenoid pushes the bendix, not an inertial engagement. I think it may also be a weak solenoid. The actual motor has been pretty weak for a while. I've got to get it out of its connex box first so I can get a better look at everything. Heck, it might start right up the next time I try it.

I don't have another piece of equipment to lift the loader. That's my dilemma. It's got a very heavy duty grapple mounted with the bucket in its jaws. I'll be able to lift it enough with a jack to move it out of the shed.

Why do you think the remote hydraulics is not feasible? I've seen it done on another brand of tractor. I just don't know if there is anything peculiar about this one with the fancy reverser and such.

In response to Mollies, from experience, the dealership will offer to come pick it up sometime next week on an inconvenient day of their choosing and haul it to their shop for the low price of about $250. Then they'll wait a couple days to find out they need to order a $500 starter that will take a week to come in. When they get around to installing it the following week, they'll leave one of the mounting nuts loose just to give me something to do the week after I get it back. I can then have it returned to the farm on another inconvenient day of their choosing, as long as I can take off work to meet them there, for another $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

In response to Mollies, from experience, the dealership will offer to come pick it up sometime next week on an inconvenient day of their choosing and haul it to their shop for the low price of about $250. Then they'll wait a couple days to find out they need to order a $500 starter that will take a week to come in. When they get around to installing it the following week, they'll leave one of the mounting nuts loose just to give me something to do the week after I get it back. I can then have it returned to the farm on another inconvenient day of their choosing, as long as I can take off work to meet them there, for another $250.

Figured that was it. Didn't know if they would be helpful or just helpful to drain your wallet.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

PM me and i'll price you some options on a starter. May need your serial #.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Sorry to not be able to provide anything useful to your question, but I did want to thank you for the good laugh. It's only funny when it's not happening to you though.

I replaced the starter on our 5065E a couple of months ago. With the bucket on the ground the front end loader was not a problem. You will need varying lengths of socket wrench extensions. You can do it yourself easily.

Thanks for the reply.

Further research says push start on a power reverser is a big no.

I ordered a starter off of Amazon from DB Electrical for $150 delivered in three days.

Does your 5075 have a loader? If so, can the starter be reached without removing the bracket?

Any idea if the hydraulics can be remotely powered?
    It’s possible but don’t ask me how. I paid a shade tree mechanic to change ours and he said don’t call me next time. He said it was an absolute pita but did not take off the loader bracket.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-14-2024 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    I replaced the starter on our 5065E a couple of months ago. With the bucket on the ground the front end loader was not a problem. You will need varying lengths of socket wrench extensions. You can do it yourself easily.
    That's the best news I've had all day! Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Forgive me for sounding like 2th, Lord please help me, but have your tried calling your local Deere dealership for info? OR are they not helpful?
    customer service?
    you know you're not allowed to buy a tractor without a dealer within 50 miles.

Good news is that Palmetto Bug aint afraid to try to fix it himself.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    customer service?
    you know you're not allowed to buy a tractor without a dealer within 50 miles.

Good news is that Palmetto Bug aint afraid to try to fix it himself.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Reverse powering the hydraulics is possible with the right flow and pressure. Willing to mix the fluids in your log splitter with the sump in the JD? Two different types of fluid most likely. Have the hoses on hand? Lot of extra work and steps to avoid the inevitable if the starter has failed. Disconnect and reconnect the right hoses and the load can be ran off the log splitter.

If I recall right the pressure has to be above 1300psi before the power beyond circuit will go live to the loader valves.

Pull the suspected bad starter, bench test it. Bench test the one being installed.

And storing equipment in a shipping container. Watch for condensation, might be an enemy. There is a reason we use anti-condensation heaters on generators inside enclosures. The condensation is detrimental.

Thanks for the reply.

I did figure out that it would be easier to just connect the pump to the loader cylinders instead of the whole tractor. I was also planning to refresh the fluid in the splitter with compatible and clean fluid. All this was last resort planning. Acebasinman's earlier reply that the starter can be accessed with the loader attached and down has calmed my panic.

Good idea bench testing the new starter. I have chased my tail before on new, bad parts.

I added vents and exhaust fans to my connex boxes. Beside all the condensation, they get oven hot in the summer. Cool Seal white paint on the tops makes a huge difference with the heat.

Rebuild the original and you’ll have a spare.

I have 2 5E series tractors and looked at them this morning. Shouldn’t be an issue to remove the starter.

One has given me starting issues before but it was a loose nut.

Remember to always use a back up wrench on starters.

Back up wrench? Whussat?

You mean like a cheater bar for extra leverage?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-15-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Engineers should be stoned and tossed in the gallows for their design placement of most starters. Just did one on my 6410 twice in a month (replaced starter last year with one from auto electric shop, it lasted a year, they rebuilt it, it lasted a month). Once with the loader. My wife didnt understand my grumpiness until I told her to come help.

Tommy you left a 0 off your estimated costs to have Blanchard work on it. I ride to Manning for anything over $50 in parts.
    cut\'em