View Poll Results: What to do with Cat 1 WMA's for waterfowl

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stop wasting the money and turn into Cat 2

21 16.94%
  • Fund whatever it takes to repair and manage.

30 24.19%
  • Fund it but roll some heads at DNR

71 57.26%
  • Give up on Samworth and Delta

2 1.61%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cat 1 WMA funding

At least I now understand the mobilization cost. I was thinking damn the truckers are making bank....
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It would need to be installed on an island.
    The last trunk I helped build and install was on rabbit island at Samworth. No doubt having to use a barge to get it over there is pricey but good lord $45k sounds astronomical. I bet Ricky Jayroe or Ben Cox would looooovvvvee to cash that check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post
    Thanks DT

So for those of you with specific knowledge. How many linear feet of dike can the full time equipment operator at Samworth retop in a 40hr week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    The last trunk I helped build and install was on rabbit island at Samworth. No doubt having to use a barge to get it over there is pricey but good lord $45k sounds astronomical. I bet Ricky Jayroe or Ben Cox would looooovvvvee to cash that check.

And where is the multi unit discount

And does Samworth own that barge sitting there?

That price almost covered my permitting (fed, state, ocrm, and Beaufort County) and me overseeing the while process...

Looks like my fees just went up. Maybe next Christmas will be merry'er
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

And does Samworth own that barge sitting there?

I believe they have gotten a new barge capable of carrying the Excavator and other larger equipment. At one time they had a yellow barge aptly named “The Will Sink” and it was used for tractors and stuff like that but if the excavator was put on it it’d...well...sink. When the excavator needed to be moved they used the SCR barge but they also shared the machine so that created a logistics nightmare. Barging that 325 Long Reach from Santee to Samworth was quite an experience.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I believe they have gotten a new barge capable of carrying the Excavator and other larger equipment. At one time they had a yellow barge aptly named “The Will Sink” and it was used for tractors and stuff like that but if the excavator was put on it it’d...well...sink. When the excavator needed to be moved they used the SCR barge but they also shared the machine so that created a logistics nightmare. Barging that 325 Long Reach from Santee to Samworth was quite an experience.

I would think that would help with the crazy mobilization cost.

Still no guess on how many feet of dike an operator could retop in a 40 hr week?

Retoping is not difficult if material is within reach without undercutting.

So it varies widely.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I would think that would help with the crazy mobilization cost.

Still no guess on how many feet of dike an operator could retop in a 40 hr week?

I could make a guess but solid chance it would be off. Bohica might be able to better answer that.

Retoping is not difficult if material is within reach without undercutting.

So it varies widely.
    Exactly. I’ve seen instances in the delta where a amphibious machine was needed to move material closer to the dike and a machine on mats to key and retop. It’s quite an orchestration when they are working in tandem.

Seems like you could do anything with a tracked front end loader and a trackhoe.

I should move the material, bridge the ditch, repair the dike and dig it back out as I left.

Seems like you could do anything with a tracked front end loader and a trackhoe.

I should move the material, bridge the ditch, repair the dike and dig it back out as I left.

Probably so...

Muskeg_D6_caterpillar.jpg

Yea I’d make a trip down to Samworth and take a look at what they are dealing with then get back to us on that tracked front end loader.

In order to retop a dike a portion of the existing dike has to be removed or “keyed”. Then new material placed in the “key” and then on top.

I will promise you this. If I owned it, it would be fixed.

I'm late to this party and just wow.

Seems like a lot of us are so willing to throw in the proverbial towel on Cat 1s as a lost cause, and the money better spent elsewhere. Any loss of public hunting opportunity is a loss for all of us as hunters, even if you hunt private land.

I'm not exactly content getting my Cat 1 hunt every 3/4 years, but I do really look forward to them when they come. As Bog said there's so much more opportunity that lies right there. Like any other venture worth pursuing it will need leadership to head the charge and someone within DNR leadership to listen to the hunting public it serves. Real change is possible. Will it ever happen, I don't know.

I digress... My Cat 1 hunts are likely some of the best duck hunts I'll have on SC public ground. Aside from the 90's hydrilla years of course.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-01-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

Seems like a lot of us are so willing to throw in the proverbial towel on Cat 1s as a lost cause, and the money better spent elsewhere. Any loss of public hunting opportunity is a loss for all of us as hunters, even if you hunt private land.
    In a perfect world.

In the reality that we dwell, with ever increasing government ineptitude on every level, do we think that the resource losing critical habitat to mismanagement is going to be a plus or a minus to ducks and duck hunters of South Carolina?

Make no mistake, some of those areas are historically critical to the overwintering of waterfowl in the Atlantic Flyway. Just because some robber baron bought them for a playground and his kids took a tax shelter by gifting or selling them to the state, doesn't entitle us to anything but the responsibility of doing what is best for those lands.

Whatever we do, we need to get together and do it quickly, because there is a whole other segment of our society coming who will gladly band together and make their perception of reality happen...

Seems to me that sometimes government has to be reminded who they serve. They work for us, not the other way around. I am far too guilty of not payingvenough attention, like a lot of the rest of us, thus allowing these situations to even occur.

Organization and leadership will be the essence of sending that reminder. Just gotta hitch our wagon to the right horse.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Those numbers came from third party contractors, boys. Read the document carefully. " Beyond the capability of DNR." DNR employees didnt come up with them.
    The good folks at DNR presented that document to DT and his crowd, as they were given to them by different contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Those numbers came from third party contractors, boys. Read the document carefully. " Beyond the capability of DNR." DNR employees didnt come up with them.
    The good folks at DNR presented that document to DT and his crowd, as they were given to them by different contractors.
    So does DNR lack the manpower, equipment, knowledge and desire to maintain these properties?

Is it going to take private contractors to do it?

Do we need some type of a duck czar at DNR to restore management goals and focus on the hunter experience?

Does DNR have enough funding to accomplish this mission?