Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some recent fish on fly

Default Some recent fish on fly

Sweet, thanks for sharing

I'd like to try that one day.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Nice. Thanks for posting.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

throwing any big streamers?
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    throwing any big streamers?
    majority of my flies are tied on a #1 or #2 Gama SC15 or Umpqua Backcountry.

This has been a go to pattern lately and has been good in olive as well as tan. That being said, it is WAY more about presentation than fly selection.

IMG_3082.jpg
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 11-19-2020 at 09:52 AM.

yeah...I understand about the finesse required in the presentation. Definitely more important than selection...I keep seeing big reds on gamechangers, but that is coming from LA and the Gulf states that have reds, I guess. Thx.

Went Monday in Beaufort. Lots of Reds but so much bait in the water it was hard to get much attention, only one in slot. Trout bit well so they were the consolation prize.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Nice work and great pics.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by hylandersc1 View Post
    Went Monday in Beaufort. Lots of Reds but so much bait in the water it was hard to get much attention, only one in slot. Trout bit well so they were the consolation prize.
    If it ain’t chartreuse it ain’t no use

Are you sight fishing or blind casting?

Trout are a blast on fly as well.

The fish are schooling nicely around this cooler weather and are easy to spot on calm days on low tide. This is a great time to get on the water and do some sight fishing.

4AE983F3-3F8A-4378-A683-ACB56AEB4414.JPG

IMG_3180.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Are you sight fishing or blind casting?

Trout are a blast on fly as well.
    Hey SouthernWake, I missed this. We were doing a little of both since the fish were schooled up and chasing bait but not always up with the water being dinghy. I've been back once since then (11/30) with no bait around. No reds but finally found the trout blind casting. Have to change locations more next time. Seems they're finding some nice schools of bigger fish in bigger water..........
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Hey SouthernWake, I missed this. We were doing a little of both since the fish were schooled up and chasing bait but not always up with the water being dinghy. I've been back once since then (11/30) with no bait around. No reds but finally found the trout blind casting. Have to change locations more next time. Seems they're finding some nice schools of bigger fish in bigger water..........
    The schools are staying more or less in the same areas throughout the tide cycle, it is easier to sight fish on the low. Most of my fish are coming right against the shore, sometimes even casting to the bank and pulling it off. The oysters will drive you crazy but it has been what is working.

Look for main water broken shell/oyster shorelines, target the smaller feeder creeks that will be dry/blocked off at low. Often times the fish will be in the stained runoff on the shore getting the last bait stuck flowing out from the creek.

Flies that push water are working such as an EP slider type shown above.

This week has some good tides but the wind seems to have other plans.

This big guy went over 30” and came out of 2ft of water.

47E27248-8EA6-456E-AEAD-30644D4A238D.jpg

Great point and that's what I meant by moving. I had been fishing mud/sand flats with lots of room for the fish to roam but when I found them the last time they were in a big creek with lots of big oyster beds, which makes sense because the other bait is gone and crabs and small fish that hang around oysters are back to being a major part of their diet. I was late finding them too and tide had changed and was coming back so I caught about a dozen in a row and it was over. Hope to get back down for a day this weekend but doesn't look good.

They've gotten a bit pickier but are still schooled up and predictable. Fish are both along main shorelines and in back creeks. The water is also very clear.

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

Also the NED rig has been tearing them up.

D39BB423-40A3-42FA-AD5D-54C84E467BA5.JPG

well dang! nice.

Awesome!

Couldn't sit inside and decided to go out in the rain for a bit, caught a few around the low on fly.

IMG_3521.jpg

Caught this guy off a dock while on the way in . He seems to have a track record of poor decision making.

IMG_3523.jpg

Yesterday's winner

IMG_3528.jpg