Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoys

We are looking to buy some new decoys for our place this year. Who makes the best ones out there as far as looks and durability goes?

INCOMING...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Wow, what a question! Is money an object? Is weight a factor?

For the money looks, durability of the paint, moveable heads, and the lighter weight of plastic I like G&H's. They run on average of around $100 a dozen.

For durability the burlaps are probably about the toughest.

For pure good looks probably cork, but they're kinda heavy. You wouldn't want to have to wade any distance with many of them on your back.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

There's only one kind......HERTERS.
    They look the best and they hardly ever tip. The most durable are probably the ultimate or maybe the burlap. Get the model 72 which is a magnum. The standards are too small. You can find them @ cabelas.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Corn is only 10 bucks a hundred. It is the best decoy I have ever seen. You could have an ornge road cone on your head and they will still come. But ifin you want to be legal the herters are my favorite. They just seem old school to me.
    easy livin'

If money is no object get yerself some of those L.L. Bean Coastal Decoys. OR...find someone trying to sell some Restle Decoys. Those are sure enough nice.

Oh boy, like S&A said, I probably shouldn't even make an attempt here...

Greenhead Gear - Very good realism, decent quality, good price. If you need a large quantity of decoys, consider these.

G&H - not so good realism (I hate looking at them), good quality, a little higher in price.

Cabela's Real Image - Outstanding realism (probably the best on the market for plastics), excellent quality, kind of pricey @ $85/dozen. If you only need a dozen or two, these should be strongly considered if your pockets are deep enough. See the Product/Gear/Gadget Review forum for a full review...

Cork - nothing rides the water like a cork bird. Commercially available cork birds are usually not very realistic, pricey too. Custom cork birds (G. Williams, J. Coats & others) will cost you a lot of ca$h. Tan cork is "usually" more durable than black cork given the same treatment (won't absorb water either).

Burlaps - not very realistic but usually tough as nails.

Of course, there's corn, rice, acorns, sweet potatoes, molasses...

What If I spread molasses on a crappy decoy? Does that instantly make it a good decoy?

I have thought about popping the heads off my G&H's and painting them like a big corn cob - Heck it couldn't hurt .
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Originally posted by Sasha and Abby:
    INCOMING...
    BWHAHAHAHAHA DAMN SASHA, I was starting to think you had no humor in ya! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    Good to talk, see you out there!

Cork
    More fuel = more boost!!

Dork

Originally posted by FishWhistle:
    Dork
    More fuel = more boost!!

No doubt, the "dork" decoy is certainly the best, but unless you want to pay $250.00/Doz, I suggest the foam dekes. they're about $100 to $125 a dozen, and a helluva good decoy I must say.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

SCWA BIRDS!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by BustSomeDucks:
    SCWA BIRDS!!
    Them things don't even look like real mallards, what with them yeller legs and a toe missing. Maybe you could get some Parker's paint and touch'em up, then they 'might' fool the real ducks. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

KRYLON SEMI GLOSS!

It ain't cheap but hollow cedar are the best riding decoys. In order to maintain fiscal discipline, I plan to start carving my own - I've already done some cork. There's a pile of white cedar waiting for me to get home. These won't get hunted over unless I'm by myself or with someone I can trust not to swat the decoys.

If anyone is interested, I've got a dozen Herters Black Duck corks that I will sell when get back in Dec. e-mail me if you're interested as I don't get on here much.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I agree, Boon. One of my best friends is a carver and he makes Connecticut-style cedars. I've built up a decent spread over the years but I only hunt 'em in ponds with people I trust!