Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kent Bismuth 4s

Default Kent Bismuth 4s

Ordered some Kent Bismuth 4s from cabelas. I tried Hevi X a couple years ago and it patterned horribly. Last year I shot Hevi Bismuth for wood ducks but I am nervous trusting any man with Hevi on it. The Hevi bismuth was impressive last year but the recipe could have done a 180 with a new lot. I have shot Kent Faststeel in the past with great results and everything I read about the Kent Bismuth was positive. I have a draw hunt this year so I wanted to see what guys saw in the field with them. I plan to pattern a few chokes with it and expect to shoot over decoys so not looking for super tight but good to 40 yards or so. Does the bismuth 4s seem to handle big ducks well? If it patterns well I plan to buy a case soon as I am tired of steel. Any input is great appreciated! Thanks!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Yes, 4s are big enough for anything

I wouldn't shoot anything near 40 yards at any draw hunt I've been on in SC. I can kill ducks that far, but retrieving anything out there that far sucks.

I don't pattern anything, it seems sassy. I shoot fairly open chokes with ducks also.

my opinion you are way overthinking this. Number 4s are fine for any ducks except maybe sea ducks or big divers. Shoot an improved or modified choke over the decoys and you should be just fine. If you are missing ducks in range it’s due to poor shooting, not how the shell patterns.
    More Ducks, Less People

Will kill the piss out of big ducks if the shooter can handle his job...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Appreciate the info, hitting the duck is not my concern but the effectiveness of the Bismuth 4s. I prefer shots at 20-25 but want to make sure they have the pop a little farther if need be.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

You'll have no problem killing any duck at 40 yards and under with Hevi Bismuth. Don't be afraid to use some choke. I like Light Full because I don't like cripples.

KPY Ballistics for lead, bismuth, and steel 3, 4, and 5 shot. Numbers ran for 1.5" of penetration. # of pellets in load for 1 oz of shot.

3 4 5 steel bis lead.PNG
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Sometimes it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.

Get a box of cheap ole Fasteel #4s, put a modified choke in and I wouldn’t worry about it. Take the money you just saved on Bismuth and Hevi-X and invest in a couple shooting lessons or sporting clays rounds. An $1.50 shell is still going to miss just as well as a .50cent shell....

Good luck on the draw hunt!
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 11-17-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks for those sharing information on the shell/shot. As stated, I have no concern hitting the target, but as Gander said, I do not like cripples so I am willing to invest in better ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    KPY Ballistics for lead, bismuth, and steel 3, 4, and 5 shot. Numbers ran for 1.5" of penetration. # of pellets in load for 1 oz of shot.

3 4 5 steel bis lead.PNG
    Thanks a bunch for the chart! Shows it does have the pop I have read about. Hopefully it patterns well in a light modified, modified, improved modified.

I'd start patterning with the IM. Those high velocity bismuth loads need constriction like a lead load. They open up pretty fast.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Look into the Boss Bismuth. Spendy, but a few of the guys I hunt with are reporting excellent results with the 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1.25 oz #5s or #4s. Copper plated bismuth.

If you are as good a shot as you claim, less than one box is all you should need for a limit. Damn the cost.

Several of my friends killed some NoDak Tundra Swans stone dead with the #4s.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Look into the Boss Bismuth. Spendy, but a few of the guys I hunt with are reporting excellent results with the 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1.25 oz #5s or #4s. Copper plated bismuth.

If you are as good a shot as you claim, less than one box is all you should need for a limit. Damn the cost.

Several of my friends killed some NoDak Tundra Swans stone dead with the #4s.
    Thank you Mr. Garrett. I have looked into them but could not find find much on them. I will see what the Kent does, but I like trying new shells so I may go ahead and order a box of them as well.

I have shot all of the big ducks I’ve killed south of Canada that last two years with Kent 20 ga bismuth 4’s. I shoot everything with a modified choke, and I have been very pleased with those shells.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

my life is so much simpler by not thinking of any of these things. I have never patterned a shotgun and use my favorite choked call "the one thats in it."

i like lead 6s.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    my life is so much simpler by not thinking of any of these things. I have never patterned a shotgun and use my favorite choked call "the one thats in it."

i like lead 6s.
    Ha, but you can't help but talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have shot all of the big ducks I’ve killed south of Canada that last two years with Kent 20 ga bismuth 4’s. I shoot everything with a modified choke, and I have been very pleased with those shells.
    Appreciate the info Boozer. Those Hevi Bismuth 4s were tough on wood ducks last year, but Hevi makes me nervous and I have had good luck with Kent. I know you have shot plenty of big ducks up there so it gives me a vote of confidence. Good luck this year!

I will. I think it's idiotic. I'm not calling you one, over the years you've posted knowledgeable things.. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people waste time on patterning, without evidence of something dead wrong, for wingshooting. It seems like the energy would be better spent learning how to shoot. It is a key to hunting, plus it doesn't make you look like an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I will. I think it's idiotic. I'm not calling you one, over the years you've posted knowledgeable things.. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people waste time on patterning, without evidence of something dead wrong, for wingshooting. It seems like the energy would be better spent learning how to shoot. It is a key to hunting, plus it doesn't make you look like an asshole.
    It comes with the territory. I think more people that hand load pay more attention to their ammo, whether its rifle, pistol, or shotgun. Some folks have the "personality " for it, and some dont. I completely understand why lots of folks DONT shoot a $1-$2 shell at a paper target to see their duck patterns though.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I take no offense in what you are saying. Never really patterned for wingshooting either until the Hevi X debacle a couple years ago. Paid premium for a shell to knock birds down and it was absolute crap. I have nothing against a man that just loads a shell and shoots but I enjoy tinkering with my rifles, turkey guns, etc so why not? As I have gotten older I have also gotten a stronger sense of making sure I do my best for game I try to kill so that plays in it for me. I do not plan to do some crazy scientific experiment, I hated those trifold boards in school, but shooting a few chokes by stepping off 30 steps or so and shooting a piece of paper can be therapeutic after a busy day pushing wrenches.
    Last edited by davisd9; 11-18-2020 at 08:15 AM.