Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laminate Flooring

Default Laminate Flooring

Wife wants new flooring and we are looking at the laminate, lock in stuff. How easy of a DIY is this or should I start looking at install prices as well. Figuring around 1200-1300 sq ft.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Laminate or LVP/LVT?

Fairly simple. Can get a little tricky going through doorways.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Fairly simple. Can get a little tricky going through doorways.
    Yes, make sure your subfloor is in good condition, doesn’t hurt to lay a vapor barrier, get a Fein or similar oscillating tool for the tricky cuts around doorways, floor vents etc...

And don’t forget to leave a gap at the walls or else it will expand and bubble
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 11-17-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Don't do laminate. Get luxury vinyl plank. Installation is the same with pop and lock, but it's waterproof and more resilient. Wholesale Building Supply in Florence has probably the best price in SC
    Last edited by Remy; 11-17-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I did it in my man cave and I’m no expert. I could have overlapped a few spots better, but it came out pretty good.
    81F08BBC-9A85-4FF1-A86E-36C5798B4F99.jpg
    0EDCECB2-0517-4823-8FD2-D4DFF3679373.jpg
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Knock out a tooth and put 8 cig butts in your pocket and you're a floor guy.,

We did our house ourselves.

2100sq ft.

I’d pay someone to do it. F floors.

But the Kardean flooring. For doors, rent or borrow a jamb saw. Leave a 1/8-1/4” gap at walls and contact points. Don’t wast money on the cheap stuff, it will imprint every flaw in the substrate.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Mollie - I’ve got all the tools you need if you wanna borrow anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Don't do laminate. Get luxury vinyl plank. Installation is the same with pop and lock, but it's waterproof and more resilient. Wholesale Building Supply in Florence has probably the best price in SC
    Agreed. And be sure to get something with an attached sound barrier. Helps to deaden the "plasticky" sound, and will mitigate telegraphing subfloor imperfections, like Mark mentioned.

We went with pergo max with their extra barrier in the last house and were very pleased with the quality. It held up to 3 large dogs and a infant with all the toys and walkers.

I think we are looking at that brand again hoping for similar results. Will definitely lay down the extra padding with moisture barrier.

Remy- thanks for that offer. I might have to take you up on it.

I’d love to pay someone to install it but that puts the project over my “want to spend” budget.

Great reminder about the gaps around walls for swelling. There’s already some flooring down in the house now so I think all the door jams and trim should be cut accordingly height wise. Maybe not once you put down the extra padding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Pergo waterproof flooring will be my next flooring. I am about to do the baby room hallway and master bedroom.

[QUOTE=MolliesMaster;2812348]We went with pergo max with their extra barrier in the last house and were very pleased with the quality. It held up to 3 large dogs and a infant with all the toys and walkers.

I think we are looking at that brand again hoping for similar results. Will definitely lay down the extra padding with moisture barrier.

Remy- thanks for that offer. I might have to take you up on it.

I’d love to pay someone to install it but that puts the project over my “want to spend” budget.

Great reminder about the gaps around walls for swelling. There’s already some flooring down in the house now so I think all the door jams and trim should be cut accordingly height wise. Maybe not once you put down the extra padding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTe

Where you located?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

[QUOTE=darealdeal

Where you located?[/QUOTE]

Florence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s easy. You can do it yourself

Just redid my kids’ bathroom last month. LVP is the way to go, and yes get the more expensive variety with the backer and padding already attached. I used a jamb saw and a cordless jig saw. Easy peasy.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

And Remy is a good dude. In the event you need to get anything from him

Laminate and lvt are the same concept but totally different to install. Most laminates you ain't gotta beat into place. I laid 4,200 sf of lvt in my house with my wife. It will make you old quick and you will have to have laminate block to beat into place. Go ahead and slam your fingers into a door on occasion for a few weeks prior to starting.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Laminate and lvt are the same concept but totally different to install. Most laminates you ain't gotta beat into place. I laid 4,200 sf of lvt in my house with my wife. It will make you old quick and you will have to have laminate block to beat into place. Go ahead and slam your fingers into a door on occasion for a few weeks prior to starting.
    The good stuff goes down easy as can be. I did an entire cut up room and never picked a hammer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013