Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    what is it about the newer bows that make them more "forgiving"?
    I don't know the required jargon of the industry to explain it scientifically but here's what "forgiving" means in layman's experience.

My old Jennings (2000 era) that was gifted to me was a bow I could never get consistent groups with, no matter how often I corrected my form, no matter how I obsessed over what I was doing wrong and worked to correct it. No matter how I adjusted the pins, etc. I agonized over paper tuning, etc.

Finally, a good buddy of mine saw me shooting it and said I needed an upgrade. I took his advice and bought a new Mathews HTR in '16 and suddenly became a good shot. It's as if the problem wasn't me after all at all. I shit you not.

I still check my form, follow through, etc, but there's no way I went from sucking to a good shot for any other reason than my upgrade. I only practice shooting 3 or 4 shots at a time and only 3 days a week and that HTR shoots just like the day I bought it and brought it home. Shoots Muzzy fixed blades just like field points. It's a honey of a shooter.
    Last edited by w33kender; 11-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Brace height and ATA are 2 big things mentioned with forgiveness which you can find in older bows of course.

It may be the speed that the arrows comes out along with the more modern grip creating less torque and updated cams and new technology creating less vibe than older versions. Im not a tech guy, just basing my opinion off of shooter experience, but there is a big difference in shootability between say a 4 year old no cam or halon versus an old switchback or some other old bow.
    Yep. brace height it just so often overlooked by todays new bow crowd. The old "vintage" Z28 I shoot has a 7.75" brace height and a pretty long ATA. 32" I think. It is the definition of a smooth forgiving bow, BUT its slow by todays standards. A few years after I got this bow I shot quite a few of the newer bows at the time and all of them were 20-25fps faster, and quieter, but 6" brace heights and draw cycles that were harsh as hell.

what is it about the newer bows that make them more "forgiving"?
    I’d say that brace height and getting rid of the cable slide are two of the most important things that make a bow more forgiving. Right now I shoot two bows, a Pearson tx-4 and a bowtech rpm 360. Love them both, but the rpm is a lot more forgiving. I can go without shooting for a few months then pick up the rpm and be right where I left off. With the Pearson I have to shoot some to get back where I was.

Also with the rpm if I’m off with my anchor a tad it doesn’t show near as much as with the Pearson.

i dont get it. "forgiving?" thats just a word.

i have commented often on those that shoot all the time. i'm cool with it.

but i can take my old ass bow out of the case and put the crosshairs on the dot and the arrow goes there. i dont even have a sight. only a peep.

is it the ata or the ppe or the whatthefuck or the cable slide? is the slide the thingie that connects the thing to the thing>?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i dont get it. "forgiving?" thats just a word.

i have commented often on those that shoot all the time. i'm cool with it.

but i can take my old ass bow out of the case and put the crosshairs on the dot and the arrow goes there. i dont even have a sight. only a peep.

is it the ata or the ppe or the whatthefuck or the cable slide? is the slide the thingie that connects the thing to the thing>?
    you have to remember the rest of us are mere mortals
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I’m pretty sure 2th is shooting a crossgun and is in the wrong forum but I dunno.

Default New Mathews

Most bow hunters kill when they pick a spot. Newer bows allow for miss judging yardage.

There is a reason field archers use longer bows with longer brace heights. Simple physics make them more forgiving.

Better archers under pressure can get away using speed bows. Most try to find a balance.

Some like tinker, like rifle builders and turkey gun builders. Not to to kill but they enjoy it. I wouldn't expect everyone to do the same as me or silly for doing what they do. If they enjoy it.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 11-19-2020 at 06:04 PM.

I was on here a while back looking for a bow because I have a place to hunt that is bow only. Ended up buying a Switchback from SCWoodrow and shot it a few times in the backyard until I could hit where I was aiming. Put some broadheads on the arrows that came with it and went hunting. A nice buck came out and i shot it. He ran 50 yards and died. It doesn’t seem like it could get much easier.

I'm really enjoying this thread
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

In 28 years I have had:
    Some 400 lb McPherson that was the only bow the Cole’s had that fit my 12 yo self
    PSE Fire Flite Express
    Hoyt Something Or Other (maybe Vectrix)
    Hoyt Alpha Max 35.

None are more or less forgiving. Put the pin in the spot and let her rip. Misses are your fault.

I have always gravitated toward smooth draw cycles (HOYT)
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

There is something to be said about an old weapon that you have stuck with and had success with over the years.

You may have an ole cheapo mossberg pump or iron site 30/30 that you cherish. But let’s not pretend that most people will enjoy and shoot a modern day fancy weapon the same as an old piece of turd.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 11-20-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Yet another SC Ducks classic where people get judged by how they choose to spend THEIR money. Shoot your old raggedy ass 12 year old bow or buy a new one every year. I really don’t care as long as I ain’t paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

shorter brace heights and shorter axle to axle lengths require a better archer, more practice, and perfect form.

long brace heights and longer axle to axle length bows are more forgiving for the fella that pulls it out of the closet a few weeks before the season, slings a few arrows at a target, and climbs in the tree.

Thats pretty much an absolute fact. its simple physics.

Thats the reason target archers use long ass bows with 3' long stabilizers that look like a an old trailer park antenna stickin out the front
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 11-20-2020 at 09:01 AM.

And not a word about parallel limbs. Anyone who has shot an old bow then a newer version surely knows what hand shock is.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

shorter brace heights and shorter axle to axle lengths require a better archer, more practice, and perfect form.

long brace heights and longer axle to axle length bows are more forgiving for the fella that pulls it out of the closet a few weeks before the season, slings a few arrows at a target, and climbs in the tree.

Thats pretty much an absolute fact. its simple physics.

Thats the reason target archers use long ass bows with 3' long stabilizers that look like a an old trailer park antenna stickin out the front
    This

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk