Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I traded a guy for doing and FHO on his dog.
    Sinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

It don’t matter. I’m just glad to be over target panic and killing again.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

To each their own. But a 2008 bow or a bow like a switchback doesn’t compare to a modern bow.

Yeah but the bow is only a small part of the kill.

They were killing em dead in 2008 just like they do now. As someone said about trucks, it cost alot to look pretty.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    To each their own. But a 2008 bow or a bow like a switchback doesn’t compare to a modern bow.
    HELL YEA. I get extra cool points for killin them with "vintage" equipment!

Do the new ones kill em deader?

They have a much better feel to them, and are more forgiving and faster.

I wouldn’t claim that a newer bow is going to make someone a better hunter or shooting an older bow will make you cooler.

It’s just my opinion that a modern bow shouldn’t be compared with switchbacks or bows that are older than 10 years old, etc. Do your thing and hunt with what you like of course.

they cant have a better feel if you only feel one
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Bro, ya need to watch THP and Ranch Fairy on YouTube. We going back old school, long erras, heavy weight, and snuffers, Zwickys.

Like titties, nothing feels like a new set for the first time dentite!
    Back in the late 80's I shot paper dots, 3D was catching on and they were just starting to make 3D targets. Friend of mine daddy had a small Archery shop in a building in his back yard in Conway. Walked in there one evening and he proceeded to show me this new one cam bow that someone came by peddling. Guy left it there to shoot and see what everyone thought and of course place ya order. I remember it being a prototype, # was single digit, solid black, milled vs cast, and that lone cam. Being a Hoyt shooter, Pro Medalist bow, I wasn't too keen on this new bow. I sure wish that 20yr old me would have invested in that newly started company.

Like titties, nothing feels like a new set for the first time dentite!
    Back in the late 80's I shot paper dots, 3D was catching on and they were just starting to make 3D targets. Friend of mine daddy had a small Archery shop in a building in his back yard in Conway. Walked in there one evening and he proceeded to show me this new one cam bow that someone came by peddling. Guy left it there to shoot and see what everyone thought and of course place ya order. I remember it being a prototype, # was single digit, solid black, milled vs cast, and that lone cam. Being a Hoyt shooter, Pro Medalist bow, I wasn't too keen on this new bow. I sure wish that 20yr old me would have invested in that newly started company.

You can say that again.

You had me at "titties," Mudflat. You should be an outdoor/archery writer. I'd follow.

yeah I stopped reading at titties and called my wife to thank her for the bow she gave me when my twins were born almost 20 yrs ago.

I think she is on to me but I dont care....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'm not a bowhunter.

But from my observations, in order to fit in with the Mathews crowd, it seems to be a requirement that you upgrade your bow every year. Props to Mathews marketing team. Don't seem to see the same fixations on new bows from the Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, etc crowd and they still kill deer just as dead.

Just my two cents from the outside looking in

Matthews is a marketing company with bow building as a hobby
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

They have a much better feel to them, and are more forgiving and faster.

I wouldn’t claim that a newer bow is going to make someone a better hunter or shooting an older bow will make you cooler.

It’s just my opinion that a modern bow shouldn’t be compared with switchbacks or bows that are older than 10 years old, etc. Do your thing and hunt with what you like of course.
    what is it about the newer bows that make them more "forgiving"?

The HTR is the newest I’ve had exposure to and that thing I as smooth as silk, easy tune. An advancement on the switchback imo. My concern with the switchbacks I’ve got is the axles are showing wear. Thinking I’m going to have groups start opening up at some point, loss of repeatable accuracy. Purchased used so no warranty etc, parts may be an issue if not already. Bows don’t last forever. I started with a bear whitetail hunter, then a high country sniper, PSE edge then switchback. About a 6-10 year jump each time. Every time there was a huge improvement in accuracy and function. Expecting the same now.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    what is it about the newer bows that make them more "forgiving"?
    Brace height and ATA are 2 big things mentioned with forgiveness which you can find in older bows of course.

It may be the speed that the arrows comes out along with the more modern grip creating less torque and updated cams and new technology creating less vibe than older versions. Im not a tech guy, just basing my opinion off of shooter experience, but there is a big difference in shootability between say a 4 year old no cam or halon versus an old switchback or some other old bow.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 11-19-2020 at 02:34 PM.