Thread: Your beaver pond(s)

Default Your beaver pond(s)

Relatively new to how beaver's go about doing what they do, but curious to know if those of you that have beaver ponds experience the same thing. There is nothing that I can do about this, so not looking for a solution necessarily, but just curious to know if this is how it is on the beaver pond.

I have a creek that has two pretty steep ridges on either side and the beavers have dammed up about 6 different areas on it. In years past, it has held a good many wood ducks, a very rare occasional mallard and once we have shot a few teal in it as well. Two years ago, we got a ton of rain in the fall and it all but silted in the top pond. The top pond used to be my honey hole as well, and figured that is where most of the acorns washed down the creek and settled in that pond, but it doesn't hold any ducks any longer.

Down the creek a little further, used to be another pond but it looks like the beavers have built another dam that has all but cut off this pond and re routed the water around it to a degree as it is almost dried up.

Next pond down is pretty full, but pretty open and they don't use that one much - and then the next pond - the dam broke and can see sign of them chewing on trees but they have not fixed the dam yet, so it is a mud pit.

Is that just the life cycle of a beaver pond and you all deal with the same thing or are my beavers too busy cooking meth or smoking crack and have lost their work ethic?

It’s what I’ve seen. They often silt in and grow up. Beavers move on. Sometimes they will rebuild after a storm but on the bigger older ponds it seems to me they can’t ever get back to where it was.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles