Thread: Septic permit questions

Default Septic permit questions

So I’m working on preparing a parcel of land that I’m considering purchasing contingent on a septic permit. DEHEC will be coming out and test for septic soon. I’ve attempted to get them on the phone with little luck this week... Anybody have any experience with this? I have a couple of questions...

My biggest concern is the property boundary flagging. Do they just need the corners flagged, or do they require a full flagged line down all four sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    So I’m working on preparing a parcel of land that I’m considering purchasing contingent on a septic permit. DEHEC will be coming out and test for septic soon. I’ve attempted to get them on the phone with little luck this week... Anybody have any experience with this? I have a couple of questions...

My biggest concern is the property boundary flagging. Do they just need the corners flagged, or do they require a full flagged line down all four sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last one we had permitted, they didn’t give two craps about the property line. It was on the drawing we submitted but they didn’t care. Maybe because the tank was not going anywhere near the line but i dont know. All I did was throw up a couple random flags down the line and they never asked nor see it from the tank location when they came out.

I’m in Anderson county and I need all four corners marked for dhec go inspect
    Go Tigers!!!

The last two I did in Charleston County, you apply for permit, then place the placard they give you on the property where you want them to test then they come out with no advanced notice and perform the test. That was in ‘16 & ‘18. There are independent companies you can pay to do a thorough report that DHEC will accept.

Flag the 4 corners.

With DHEC, it all depends on what inspector you get. That's the bottom line

Normally want the 4 corners of the property and a proposed house location staked.

Mark four corners of the property, Place septic permit card in plastic ziplock bag on a stake at the entrance to the property. Mark the four corners of proposed site with flags and use a fifth flag to mark the proposed location of the tank, if it is known. If the property is a larger parcel where the home site can not be seen from the roadway or is not close to the roadway and plainly obvious, Place the stake with the permit card at the entrance and place marking flags every so often to designate the path to the proposed home site.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

I've had to have a surveyor identify a boundary line only a few times over the past 20 years. In all instances, the perc site/soil identified was limited, and the line marking was done to insure there was enough room to stay within the setbacks and boundaries of the tract with the septic systems. Other than that, they've accepted our estimated measurements to the location of the site - they will remeasure once they identify a perc location.

If they do not approve a traditional system, then I may be able to help you with an alternative system.

Apparently y’all haven’t done one recently. I had every inspector in the state at my place last month. Training day...because I was digging pits for them.

Small tract and you need all four corners marked. If your drainfield is going to be near the property line then you need to mark hay line.

Flag house corners. Septic location. Proposed well. Oh and the yellow and red cards are overlooked right now with covid precautions. You have to email or mail or call the office to get everything setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    If they do not approve a traditional system, then I may be able to help you with an alternative system.
    What would that be? I'm very interested.

I would imagine a series of a few plastic 55 gallon drums

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    What would that be? I'm very interested.
    alternate trench widths, shallow systems, mounded systems, elevated systems, grain bin systems, etc. I'm a civil PE. Septic is not my bread and butter, but I've worked on some commercial ones...

You can also challenge the soil classification reports...

The "Septic Permit" is actually being rewritten right now and will be released soon. If the draft holds, they will start allowing engineers to design combustion & incineration systems for properties that VERY difficult. Not what I would recommend for your home, but could be the only option for a river cabin or hunting lodge...
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 11-14-2020 at 04:53 PM.