Thread: Iphone gurus...

Default Iphone gurus...

So I've got an older iphone (Iphone7) that was locked due to excessive pass code tries by my daughter. I was able to restore the phone through itunes, but now i have to activate it. Which now it says "unable to activate, an update is required to activate your iphone." When i connect it to itunes, it says "the iphone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device." Not sure if it matters, but the phone will not be associated with a provider. It will basically used like an ipod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you hook it up to itunes now does it not ask you if you want to update it?

I kind of just did this. This may help. I had to make a new icloud acount to associate with this "ipod" It worked perfect.

Try going in through the Settings icon do a factory restore, basically a format C. Once you have it wiped, do the updates and setup as new then try to pull it down from the cloud.

Can you even get into settings or are you at the white screen initialization steps?

I can't even access any settings b/c it says to needs to be activated and it has to do updates before it's activated.

is says "the iphone could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device"

Just go by your provider's store. They can reset it and don't charge, in my experience.

I think WNM's correct. The solutions I'm getting from doing a web search are circular and provide no solution.

I'm suppose to be receiving a phone call from an apple "engineer" today to see if they know what to do. I called verizon and they said that all of their phones are unlocked when paid for. We'll see what apple says today. One fella I talked with at apple said that they would send me a box to mail the phone back to them and they would either fix it or replace it. Oh and by the way, I have to pay them for the cost of the phone and they'll reimburse me when they receive my defected phone. I was like, so I've got to pay you how ever much a new iphone costs for you to send me a box to send my phone to you? Somehow we got disconnected and he never really explained that process to me. Something about putting a "hold" on it. Who knows.

Look up how to completely clear phone and reload. Called “DFU”. Google “dfu iphone”. Should work.

This will completely erase data on phone
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-13-2020 at 09:11 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I just had to go to verizon and they wouldn't even touch my phone