Thread: check your wood ducks

Default check your wood ducks

Lots of web tags being put in wood ducks this year, all up and down the Atlantic Flyway. Hard to see if you don't look. Y'all that hunt around Lake Marion might take special note, since that's where most web tags were used in SC the past 2 years.

Oh, before you ask "why web tags instead of leg bands?", most of these birds are being banded in the nest box and might be too small for leg bands.

1small_WODU band reporting flyer_2020.jpg

How am I supposed to put that on my lanyard?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    How am I supposed to put that on my lanyard?
    of Facebook for that matter...?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Never had heard of them.

Glad you put this out here.

Exactly. Except its parler now. But if I don't get enough likes on my parler then I will definitely reactivate my FB so I can get the clout I deserve off there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Weird. I’ve helped band nearly 1000 wood ducks in the Lake Marion area in the past 2 years and never heard about em til now.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 11-12-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I always wished I could legally do something like that on the ducks that hatch or use the boxes I maintain just for selfish reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I always wished I could legally do something like that on the ducks that hatch or use the boxes I maintain just for selfish reason.
    Put ankle monitors on them so they can’t leave your back 40.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

When I saw "web tags" being questioned on CWS I reached out to Paul Link with LDWF and probably one of the baddest duck / goose catching biologists in North America. Here is his response:

"Hi Paul, the web tags are going on day-old ducklings...occasionally on ducklings that haven't even fully emerged from their eggs. They can't wear a traditional tarsal aluminum tarsal band until they're 50+ days old, so the web tags allow us to keep tabs on broods in the meantime. Unfortunately web tags have a fairly poor retention rate and hunters (and even fellow banders) often overlook them. A couple folks are implanting pit tags (much like those used in pets) in ducklings that have higher retention rates, but of course have to be scanned to identify. I bet a few get cooked down in gravy!--"

I'm with you Nickles, I'd love to band the birds using my boxes, it'd be cool to get a call from the person who harvested it.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

They gonna be scattered out like a mofo after all this rain we just got.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    They gonna be scattered out like a mofo after all this rain we just got.
    You just dont have enough corn...throw in 200 more pounds and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    You just dont have enough corn...throw in 200 more pounds and call it good.
    Hey...I would if our politicians didn’t make baiting ducks a federal offense. Listening to the old folks in my hunt club, they used to bait the shit out of swamps and ponds and if you got caught, it was like $100 fine. Like baiting deer used to be. Once it became a federal offense and LE would put the screws to people baiting, they all quit duck hunting. They say they if you don’t bait up a spot it’s not worth going! Lol! Those old cats talk about going out hunting and the ducks being thick as mosquitoes. They say they would tear there ass up with lead #6’s. Boy have we fucked it up for ourselves. Over regulation...the American way! We have fucked everything up!
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 11-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Hey...I would if our politicians didn’t make baiting ducks a federal offense. Listening to the old folks in my hunt club, they used to bait the shit out of swamps and ponds and if you got caught, it was like $100 fine. Like baiting deer used to be. Once it became a federal offense and LE would put the screws to people baiting, they all quit duck hunting. They say they if you don’t bait up a spot it’s not worth going! Lol! Those old cats talk about going out hunting and the ducks being thick as mosquitoes. They say they would tear there ass up with lead #6’s. Boy have we fucked it up for ourselves. Over regulation...the American way! We have fucked everything up!
    People still bait and it’s still best way to get ducks. Plant a corn field and flood the corn field.

And make money at it.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.