Thread: Old loblolly pine question?

Default Old loblolly pine question?

I have a tract of land that that has a portion (5 acres ) of old loblolly pines that are over 40 years old that I would like to cut to replant later with new pines. My question is are they worth anything and would a timber company want to even mess with such a small plot? Land is located in Williamsburg county. Any help from the timber guys will be much appreciated.

It depends...
    Formerly DM88

Yes, they are worth something, and no, I don't think you'll get anyone in there for five acres (unless you can find an adjoining landowner that needs a lot more work).
    Carolina Counsel

Lock your trail cameras up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I saw five acres of loblolly sell on site sealed bid one day for $37,500..... Now, that was in the late 90s but....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 11-11-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yes they are worth something but getting a logger to cut 5 acres is very difficult. Throwing in something else on the property or a neighbor (thinning or more clearcut acreage) would help with interest and potentially pricing. Moving logging equipment is costly and they likely don't wanna move to cut such a small volume of wood.
    More Ducks, Less People

I went through this about two years ago. 11 acres of my 41 is planted pines and they needed thinning. Gbelly put me in contact with a gentlemen who was very easy to work with. However the him being easy to work with part required me to be patient and let him work his magic. He came out and cruised it and agreed to do it. He waited till he had two larger jobs with me geographically in between them and while moving equipment from one big job to the other the logging crew short stopped at my place for 2 days and thinned my pines and off they went. I got some checks a few weeks later and all was good.

That's the only scenario that gets your timber cut. It'll cost more to move the equipment in than they'll make unless you're on their way to a bigger job.

Good luck!

The only other way I’ve seen it work is if it’s really wet and your land is high and dry. Might get a small outfit out there just to give their guys some work