Thread: IL slug gun season

Default IL slug gun season

We leave a week from today to southern IL for slug season

Anyone else headed out there ??

Just got back on the 13th...hunted Brown county the 7th-13th. Bad weather with temps in the 70s and windy....cold front came in late in the hunt.

Killed a decent 8 last day because I was tired of looking at him

My little brother and one of his buddies headed out last night. What part you hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    My little brother and one of his buddies headed out last night. What part you hunting?

We were in Carmi/Norris City area.

Weather kind of sucked, I passed a huge 8pt Friday am dead after a doe. Wishing I had taken that shot but had a broken G3

Out of 3 of us the old guy (76 yr old hunting buddy I have hunted with for 30+ yrs) tagged out Friday am on a decent 10 point (125 or so )

Other guy passed 1 shooter right at daylight and like me came home empty handed

Still great trip and love seeing all those bucks chasing does

3 days is a crap shoot every year , this year we had zero acorns and fields around us were beans this year instead of corn. Makes a huge difference

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    We were in Carmi/Norris City area.

Weather kind of sucked, I passed a huge 8pt Friday am dead after a doe. Wishing I had taken that shot but had a broken G3

Out of 3 of us the old guy (76 yr old hunting buddy I have hunted with for 30+ yrs) tagged out Friday am on a decent 10 point (125 or so )

Other guy passed 1 shooter right at daylight and like me came home empty handed

Still great trip and love seeing all those bucks chasing does

3 days is a crap shoot every year , this year we had zero acorns and fields around us were beans this year instead of corn. Makes a huge difference
    Thats good to hear about the old feller.How did your buddy hold up to the china flu,I remember you saying the odds were against him?

Same with our area...beans make it slow

Little brother killed a stud first day there. 260#, rough measure was 150”. Waiting to here the final measurements.

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Tprice do you think the area you hunt holds more deer the years its planted in corn vs soybeans? Been hunting a farm in Kansas the past few years, and this year it was all soybeans. Not much deer activity on it while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    Tprice do you think the area you hunt holds more deer the years its planted in corn vs soybeans? Been hunting a farm in Kansas the past few years, and this year it was all soybeans. Not much deer activity on it while I was there.

Sorry just saw this

Most definitely when fields around us are corn, this year they will be corn

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    Thats good to hear about the old feller.How did your buddy hold up to the china flu,I remember you saying the odds were against him?

Sorry. Just saw this He actually did pretty well with it all things considered

Just called me this week and said he was good to go one more year

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Little brother killed a stud first day there. 260#, rough measure was 150”. Waiting to here the final measurements.

Nice. Those suckers out there are huge. Great backstraps and tenderloins from the too