Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CREP Pheasant

Awesome!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Nice! Leaving for Kansas in the morning with my 1yr. old French Brittiany. Hope we can find a few. Going to be warm..

Hope to do this next year. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Nice Marshall
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Is that 1100 a 20 gauge or 12? Headed to Kansas for duck and pheasant in a week. I want to take my 20 1100 to pheasant hunt because it is lighter than my 12. I am wondering if the 20 gauge will get the job done. I figure it will in close range.
    Take your 20. Mine is an 1100 LT20. Fixed mod choke, Shooting Fiocci Golden Pheasant 3inch #4s. It’s hit hard both days so far. Don’t shoot anything less than a mod choke though. Brought the 12 and don’t think I’ll even break it out of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Is that 1100 a 20 gauge or 12? Headed to Kansas for duck and pheasant in a week. I want to take my 20 1100 to pheasant hunt because it is lighter than my 12. I am wondering if the 20 gauge will get the job done. I figure it will in close range.
    A 20 is more than enough gun, they aren’t geese.

I've shot a 20 gauge since 2015. Killed many pheasant, ducks, geese, and turkeys with it. 20 gauge will be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Day 2: 24 hens flushed, 6 roosters flushed. Roosters were few and far between, but I was blessed to scratch out a limit and my friend got one. Weather shot up to 50 today and the birds definitely reacted. They were a lot spookier would not hold and would run on a trailing dog. Callie finally put it all together. It was awesome to see it finally click for her. She hunted hard today and hit a different gear. My friends GSP is running very well too, she’s got really good drive and a heck of a nose, feel terrible cause she could not flush a rooster for the longest while, she was hell on the hens though.

Field 1: Walked the prettiest field of the trip so far for about an hour. Flushed one rooster out of a cattail slough in the bottom corner. Callie got super birdy, couldn’t see her but could hear her tail smacking reeds when she got birdy. Rooster flushed right in front of her, nailed it at 20 yards. Callie retrieves. Awesome start to the day. Was really cool to not be able to see her but to be able to hear and tell when she got birdy in that thick slough. .
    8E2D6E26-DA4A-4E6A-AB02-4C79B8F2AD6F.jpg
    60EA19D8-4BFD-40F4-BADF-353E6DF4BF2D.jpg

Field 2: Birdiest the dogs have been all trip. Walked for an hour and a half. Pointed, flushed a total of 8 hens, no roosters. We think it got hit earlier this week, saw some boot tracks in field and feathers from cleaned birds at the truck. Could’ve hit every single hen that flushed, the dogs thought we were crazy.

Field 3: Dogs both get birdy as soon as we enter field. The grass and thickness of the field has been the best for them to learn and scent birds. Flush 4 hens, one rooster. The birds were running on the dogs. The one rooster I killed held tightin a patch of grass no bigger than a dinner table on the last bit of cover before the cut corn field. He had ran the whole field and it was like he was making his final stand before busting out into the corn. He didn’t flush until Callie was dead on top of him, dead at 10 yards.

Field 3: Walked back to the truck, drive around to the backside of the same field and wanted to walk towards what we had just hunted because birds were pushed and very spooky. Worked in our favor. Friend and his GSP flush rooster, nailed dead on the second shot. GSP did awesome on pointing and flushing that rooster. We proceed to flush 8 more hens in the field and one far rooster in the corner that was out of gun range. Dogs have hit another gear.
    22DA0B14-B4FB-4800-93D7-1D4AA84AADA2.jpg

Field 4: Last field of the day we are running out of daylight. About 3’ tall grass next to a freshly cut small corn field. Pushed pretty hard to the bottom to cover ground. Dogs were birdy the entire time, just kept getting run on by the birds. Get near to the bottom of the field and hens and a rooster flush out of the bottom way out of gun range. They had definitely out run the dogs to the bottom. We begin to work our way back to the truck on the other side of the field that I never would’ve expected a bird to hold in. Sure enough Callie turned on a dime followed scent for a few yards and flushed a lone rooster. The bird wouldn’t get more than 5 feet off the ground with Callie hot on his tail. I had no shot until he got out to about 40 yards and then he finally gave me enough air above the dog to throw a shot at him. Winged him pretty good on the first shot, Callie found him very quickly. Day 2 limit.
    681EEB4A-C66E-43EF-B6E4-721C218B9AAF.jpg
    4BF65BB8-12E0-47E2-8943-1D1E69D6720D.jpg
    29AA7194-8A58-4155-9F8D-F977C2AF78B6.jpg
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 10-26-2022 at 06:28 AM.

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

You can’t shoot hens? What the hell kinda nonsense is that? Why do they even bother to release hens then? You know those damn things are from China, right? Like the Kung FluHan

Fantastic trip. On the list for my pup as well.

Keep the reports coming!

I love the picture of the two dogs on the tailgate. Dream trip. Thank you for sharing.

You guys are tearing it up! Keep up the good work.

I'm eager to go back already, stupid job.

What brand are those dog vests?
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-12-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

They are Filson. Dogs are getting tired and banged up a little bit still itching to go.

Very cool
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Fantastic

nice work! the sunsets out there are beautiful
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

dogs dont get tired of banged up. owners just think they do. keep hunting.

when I lived out there we didnt stop till we could blood trail the dog by the torn pads. (sort of a joke)

enjoy the hell out of it!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Need a blocker at the end of the sloughs and hedgerows . One dog handler / flush shooter and a guy at the end to shoot the runners. ( off the ground if they choose to die that way).. Roosters get pretty dang wily late season.

Great photos. Makes me long to get back after the upland bird hunting. Fun as heck. I love it too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    dogs dont get tired of banged up. owners just think they do. keep hunting.

when I lived out there we didnt stop till we could blood trail the dog by the torn pads. (sort of a joke)

enjoy the hell out of it!
    Dogs do get tired and do get banged up. You’re wrong. But nothing to keep them from hunting. Let a dog be a dog. If she tells me she wants to hunt I’m gonna hunt her till she quits.