Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CREP Pheasant

Day 3: Temps dropped significantly last night, 20 at 10 am and very windy, got a tiny bit of snow and the birds definitely acted way different today than yesterday. They were huddled up in tight groups, none wanted to run, everything flushed, whether it was in front of a dog or flushing when there was a shot in the field. Still very wary, not acting dumb. On a shot or another bird flushing, every bird in the field got out of there.

Field 1: Saw a lot of birds around this field yesterday afternoon. Hit it first thing at 10AM. Dogs were birdy off the bat. Within the first ten minutes my friend and GSP point and flush the first rooster of the day. Nice shot, stone dead. A couple of hens and two rooster flush on report of the gun, fly straight across the private corn field and land on the other side, aren’t dumb. . Keep pushing down the field, Callie jerks around on a dime at the fence line and instantly flushes a rooster that held the tightest I’ve seen all trip. Before I can stop Callie she’s jumping through the barbed wire after him, got caught up, retrieved the bird, learned her lesson.
    79F6AEFE-C28A-4170-928A-C83E19E6FBC5.jpg

Field 2:
    Back to a hotspot that we’ve been killing birds in all week. Right off the bat have a good feeling and sure enough not 20 yards into the field Callie flushes a rooster to my left, stoned dead, she about caught it before it hit the ground. Not a minute later the GSP flush another rooster, he stones it in the cattails. On his shot the field erupted in birds. Couldn’t count them all but there were at least 20 that flushed within 50 yards of us. Dogs go crazy, we both struggled to find roosters to pick out. Both pulled the trigger on two separate ones. Knock them down but not hard in the cattail slough. Dogs were being puppies and nowhere to be found. Run them in the cattails for 30 minutes looking. Nothing to be found. Birds ran for sure or burrowed down. Lesson learned, pick your shots, these birds are very resilient. Should’ve slowed down, picked a good shot and taken it rather than rushing. Still came out of the field with two, just not the two man limit we were hoping for.
    8D6ADCD5-5116-4B26-808D-AE6F89F3542C.jpg

Decided to hunt the back half of that same field just like yesterday to see if birds were still holding there. Sure enough, same story, birds were everywhere. Dog flushed the first rooster and same eruption in birds. At least 25 in this field, we both pick one out each and knock them down. It’s in thick grass at least 5’ tall so we both go instantly to where both birds fell with dogs. Search and search for at least 30 minutes. Can’t find them. Really ticked at myself for not hitting them harder, I’ve been shooting lights out all week but can’t hit these last birds as hard as I’d have wanted to. Either burrowed down or ran on us. We both decide that that’s enough killing/winging for the day. Should’ve had a two man limit but our fault for not hitting birds hard enough. We’re done for the day, we’ve wounded/killed enough for our fair share of a two man limit. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow our last day will be able to walk out with six birds in hand. Rest the dogs, beer is cold, we’ll get back out there tomorrow.
    A3C0D449-20AC-4BB4-8192-915BF99CC8F3.jpg
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 10-26-2022 at 06:29 AM.

Good stuff.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Fabulous.

Love it

Great recounting of the trip. You will remember these days fondly.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

What a great trip. Again, thank you for sharing.

Last day: Got blanked today. Covered a ton of ground and it wasn’t for a lack of effort. Hit 5 different fields and all we flushed today were 3 hens. No clue why, but that’s why they call it hunting and not killing. Took some pics of the dog, scenery, and fields for memories, all that was missing was the birds. Still an awesome trip that I’ll remember for a long time. Headed back to SC in the AM.
    E4D0DAA3-C0E4-4049-8D1E-A8CFA1759039.jpg
    CF7A083C-47EB-444D-BC35-0A69670355B5.jpg
    D118457F-8F2A-461B-9DE8-CFC1F14CA68C.jpg
    5EA0E2AA-2EBA-4E14-8520-DE0648F36321.jpg

:like:

Safe travels.

Thanks for posting. Have enjoyed the read.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

You definitely had an awesome trip. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just got back from the taxidermist. A picture really doesn’t do it justice. Victor Smith in Dalzell did a fine job on it, I’d highly recommend him.

Now just to find a place to put it in the house that the wife approves…

FC1A0017-4F53-4D7B-9A5D-A13834436589.jpg

Nice. I enjoy walking up Roosters. That is a good one.

Lemme know when you want to sell those Buice Trumpets.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

put it next to your muddy boots on the kitchen table!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fantastic!

I love the paintings on the wall above the desk. Tell me about them!

Fantastic!

I love the paintings on the wall above the desk. Tell me about them!

That looks great
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Some pretty high quality reading materials in that book case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That’s a great looking mount. Did you mean Vince Smith?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Just got back from the taxidermist. A picture really doesn’t do it justice. Victor Smith in Dalzell did a fine job on it, I’d highly recommend him.

Now just to find a place to put it in the house that the wife approves…

FC1A0017-4F53-4D7B-9A5D-A13834436589.jpg
    Victor mounted my Pheasant also. He’s a good guy I work with him on the county FIre department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."