Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a processor?

Default Why do you use a processor?

Curious why so many people on here use them?

I have used them in the past but eventually just bought the equipment to do it myself. Personally, I feel better knowing it is my deer and when I grind it the meat is all trimmed etc.

I kill 4-6 deer a year so it pays for itself pretty quickly.

Convenience and time.

Shalom.

Time and space.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I don’t have the time, facilities or equipment to do a proper job.

Done plenty of them myself thru the years

for me, its all about the equipment. I'd like to think I will do my own someday.

what equipment do you have?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If I get the right equipment, can I give myself a root canal?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Big cutting board, big cooler, boning knife, vacuum sealer, a big ass mixing bowl, and a stout grinder.

Debone it on the tailgate if you need to and the rest can be done in the kitchen. It does take some time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    If I get the right equipment, can I give myself a root canal?
    indeed you can
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    for me, its all about the equipment. I'd like to think I will do my own someday.

what equipment do you have?
    Nothing fancy. Cabelas carnivore 1/2 hp, a sausage stuffer and dehydrator. I also have a vacuum seal but that is used for fishing etc as well.

I age my deer for about 7 days in a large yeti and break it down, grind etc pretty quickly. Nice having the option to grind bacon in with meat or try your own spice mixes
    Last edited by hunterjw; 11-10-2020 at 08:47 AM.

All about time for me. I've processed some myself, but until I get older and the kids are gone, I'd rather spend those hours doing something else.

Everyone talks about time on here? I had a quartered deer last week I processed in 1.5 hours? Not that big of a deal- that was grinding, wrapping twice (finish with freezer paper). I don’t grind my shoulders though and break them down for Dutch oven style stew cooking

I've done them myself but i mainly take them now to save time and aggravation. $85 bucks at my processor and most of the time, you still come out ahead compared to meat out the store.

Convenience and time. Those couple hours are important to my family, and that's after the time I spent killing said deer. One day when my kids are older I do hope to do more of my own stuff.

I use a couple different processors based on what I plan to have made. Each has their specialty. I like to keep my family involved in eating the wild game that we bring home. One can only eat so much ground meat and cube steak. My crew enjoys hotdogs, bacon, summer sausage, snack sticks, salami, lil smokies, etc., along with all of your “basic” cuts as well. I live in Lexington and hunt in Fairfield county but drive to hickory hills and Phillips plantation for most of my processing. I hear the argument all the time about cost and distance to and from. To me that is a small price to pay for quality table fare for my family year round.

PS I would love to dabble in doing some of it myself. It’s just a lack of the right equipment currently.

My time with family is important as well. My 4 and 2 year old “help” with the processing. I feel like it gives them the full circle of it all. Whenever we get a deer together they are much more vocal about the “extra meat” and never anything about horns etc

As already stated, time and convenience. I’ve processed two this year and taken 4 to a processor. I can do a good job at it but it is like cleaning gutters. We’ve decided it’s time to upgrade the grinder. I may just be getting old and lazy though.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Convenience and time. Those couple hours are important to my family, and that's after the time I spent killing said deer. One day when my kids are older I do hope to do more of my own stuff.
    My 4 year old would rather watch me grind up a deer than sit in a deer stand. He can drops the chunks in under close supervision. Never used a processor and never will.

My kid killed a deer the other day.

After quartering it and putting it on ice in the cooler, I sliced up the liver and made him liver and onions for supper. Kind of our thing. We like to have a meal of what we took out of the woods soon after the killing and cleaning is done.

I'll quarter, age, debone my deer and freeze them all in bulk. When I have a weekend with nothing planned, I pull all of it out of the freezer and put it in a cooler to thaw on say...a Monday.

Then I'll go about my grinding and packaging. A good vacuum sealer is a must.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I just started doing my own this year. The people that wet age in cooler with ice, I have a question for y'all. Do y'all trim away the layer that has turned pinkish or do y'all throw it in to be ground up with the rest of the meat, or keep in on the certain cuts you will eat?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I only trim silver skin and blood shot.

Wet aging is not my preferred method, it's my method of necessity. I'm hunting a drink cooler I can hang a deer or three in to dry age with the hide on. Huge difference in the flavor and texture if dry aged. If I can, (which is rare) I wont skin it until I can move the legs freely.

Incidentally, if SC gets a verified case of CWD in the borders, or close to our borders...all of ya'll better either get good at processing, or hold off on the trigger. The entire landscape will change from processors to corn piles...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton