Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tillman needs your help

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    How often does Tillman take you out?

When’s the last time you choke slammed the dog and pinned him on the ground to let him know hes a little bitch? Serious question.
    Windows Down!

The male lab(way different than a Boykin) that I have has been thrown onto his back before. When he starts to try and jump to the top of the totem pole and test me, I shut it down quick by getting him on his back and yelling at him. Don't have to beat him at all. That seems to have more affect on him than beating him. Lets him know who is in charge.

Now my female on the other hand hates to be on her back and will fight you to her death to not be on her back. She is 10 and I might have gotten her on her back twice. Its crazy, I will have buddies come over and I will bet them that without hurting her they can't get her on her back and they never have. Most dogs roll over to get belly rubs or sleep. I have never seen this one on her back

My current dog went through this. I'd rub his nose in it and put a noisy but not harmful ass-whipping on him, put him outside and make him stay outside for longer and longer stints. He hated being ignored worse than a beating. Shun him and physically turn your back on him when he is bad. I also made a point to praise him when he peed outside. It took longer than I hoped but he doesn't do it anymore and still has his dangles.

The real issue was he didn't seem to be confident of his place in the pecking order. He never challenged me but the other dog had him anxious. If we had another dog over, like when we kept friends' dogs while they were out of town, it was a whole new battle. One of the first things we did was convince him he was the 2nd or 3rd big dog, behind me and the wife. Anytime he'd growl at the other dog, we'd take his side and growl with him. I still make my dogs eat from a single bowl on occasion to prevent too much dominance but we'd back him when he gently asserted his authority. It sounds silly but you will be surprised how quickly it can calm a household with dogs. You have to be cognizant of pack hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Marking is an alpha thing. Sounds like you need to take a step up on the totem pole.....

Just an observation.
    This....absolutely
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin Rooster View Post
    This....absolutely

Yep, what I tell the wife. He is showing her who is boss. LOL

MIL had been over here, wife washed some of her clothes and hung on door knob and Tillman pissed on them. Have to admit even though Wife was fussing I thought it was pretty damn funny
    Last edited by tprice; 11-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Does he hump everything too? My year-old male gets laid every night with the bed in his kennel, but he does not, as of yet, mark in the house.

On the bright side, your pup is a beautiful dog.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    When’s the last time you choke slammed the dog and pinned him on the ground to let him know hes a little bitch? Serious question.
    Slammed on his back with you pinning him down looking directly into his eyes. Solved some serious issues I had with a crazy Jack Russell 20 years ago. It’s tough love and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Slammed on his back with you pinning him down looking directly into his eyes. Solved some serious issues I had with a crazy Jack Russell 20 years ago. It’s tough love and it worked.
    I slam one every now and then just to let the other 20 know who’s the Boss.
    Windows Down!

You talk about it like it’s your own nuts. What do you think it’s going to do to him? You won’t tune him up if you catch him doing it. How would that work for a child if you never showed them right and wrong? Does he sleep in the bed with you too? You have a dog pissing in your house....where you live. You get the answer and say you won’t do it. Let that sink in a minute. Now what’s really the problem?? Well, you knew the answer before you asked didn’t you? When people start treating animals like people, the battle is already lost.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I think that he may be afraid that if he makes him mad, Tillman might get mad and burn down his doghouse...

Anyone know of a spiritual healer he can take the dog to? Root doctor?

Dogs love discipline and thrive when there is clarity of who is boss. Problems arise when there is uncertainty.

I'm the grump and disciplinarian at my house and it frustrates my wife that the dogs will turn their backs on her when I'm around.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Dogs love discipline and thrive when there is clarity of who is boss. Problems arise when there is uncertainty.

I'm the grump and disciplinarian at my house and it frustrates my wife that the dogs will turn their backs on her when I'm around.
    This.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Summary :

His male dog is more dominant than he is, he’s scared to punish him for PISSING IN THE HOUSE, and he has terrible toenail fungus
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Price, a dermie can get you something that will clear that fungus up from the inside out in rather short time. My aged step-dad is in a world of shit health wise for neglecting his feet [and his mouth] as a younger man. A man who'd never smoke or drink to excess for health reasons somehow thought these his toenail fungus or gum disease were no big deal.

Good luck with the dog. Palmetto Bug's advice looks solid imo.