Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mallard Tower Shoot

The short of pigeon shoots. There's two types. Box birds and Columbaire. You put money in to enter and there is what is called a Calcutta. Basically you are betting on shooters. You bet on yourself to get in the big money. Basically option money like they offer in sporting clays. You win and you take a portion of the pot.

For box birds, you have to put that bird down inside the ring. If that bird sails out, you lost that bird. If the bird gets up and walks out, you lost that bird.

There are 5 boxes in front of you and you won't know which one will release the 1st bird. Obviously as birds are released you know which boxes still have birds.

Columbaire is all hand throw. You are Basically shooting over some brave souls head.
    Last edited by Gander; 11-10-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Explain how a money pigeon shoot works?
    There are five spring release traps inside a circular chain link fence that is about 18" tall. The traps are opened randomly, where the bird is pushed up into flight by the spring loaded floor of the trap, and the shooter must kill the bird inside the fence. A missed bird or a bird killed outside the fence is a lost bird.

This is an expensive sport. Aside from the shooting, there are calcuttas, Omaha Hi-Lo Poker, big fat ribeyes, and good whiskey. Don't get near a card table unless you know what you're doing.

EDIT - Sorry Chris, didn't see you had posted.

Also, as previously stated you do not talk about pigeon shoots. If you're not in the pigeon shoot circle, you'll probably never see one.
    Last edited by Fish; 11-10-2020 at 11:50 AM.

I have a better understanding now.
    Low country redneck who moved north

The pheasants get eaten and they had more chance than a chicken. Would you rather get a chance to run for your life or stand in line to get your head chopped off?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    1st rule of pigeon shooting is ‘ you don’t talk about pigeon shooting’.
    Yep and Fish explained it to a tea. The security was tight, real tight at the gate.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Yep and Fish explained it to a tea. The security was tight, real tight at the gate.
    This may be a really dumb question but why the security? Guest list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    This may be a really dumb question but why the security? Guest list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And $$$$$$

I never knew I wanted to be invited to a pigeon shoot before today. Of course I don't have the skill or money so it wouldn't do any good, but still an interesting event.

Obviously they don't want any animal rights people putting the kibosh on their events. They tried to get a drone at Broxton Bridge a few years back for those that may remember. They shot the drone down.

Here's the thing about those pigeons - they're trapped as nuisance pests from cities and then they're destroyed. And then those hand wringing peta faggots show up (if they find out about a shoot) to protest a bunch of birds who's fate is already decided.

Here is a video from Tucson of ZZ or Helice. Helice was designed to duplicate live pigeon shooting. So just imagine the Helice machines being the boxes with pigeons.

Those pigeon tossers know which feathers to pull to make the bird do whatever they want it to.

Once upon a time Winchester marketed guns and shells to the Pigeon crowd.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

A true pigeon gun does not have a safety. They don't take any chances for sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I ain't gonna mention no name but back in the day I seen alot of cash money change hands on a invite deal only with high security on a pigeon shoot. Just sayin

Edit: should have read the rest of the dissertations on this subject before I quoted the good DR, but agree with them all and have seen first hand the cash that moves around.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-10-2020 at 01:57 PM.

What you think it looks like- and what it actually looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Kinda sorta
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Once upon a time Winchester marketed guns and shells to the Pigeon crowd.
    Yep. Called um Pigeon loads.

Super Pigeon was a great shell

Pigeon shells = High Brass.

I know one of the top Pigeon shooters has his own shells made custom for him. Paper loads with his name on them, along with his mantra.