Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quail plantations Georgetown are

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    St. Stevens not that far. Spring grove shooting preserve has always been good.
    I have enjoyed a few hunts there.

And I would go again if the opportunity was there.
    Last edited by rp; 11-09-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Ever thought about hunting wild birds? Shooting pen raised birds is about like trout fishing in a pond at Dollywood
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-10-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Ever thought about hunting wild birds? Shooting pen raised birds is about like trout fishing in a pond at Dollywood
    Sure. Would love to shoot wild birds. Do you know how and where I could do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Sure. Would love to shoot wild birds. Do you know how and where I could do this?

Texas has some. I don't know of many places between here and there that have natural huntable populations. If you have a trainload of money, you can manage for them... and release pen birds because not enough wild birds show up.

Default Quail plantations Georgetown are

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Texas has some. I don't know of many places between here and there that have natural huntable populations. If you have a trainload of money, you can manage for them... and release pen birds because not enough wild birds show up.
    There are no less than a dozen private plantations in the state of SC that have sustainable populations of wild birds and are consistently find at the least 4 coveys an hour during a hunt. I’ve had the privilege of working on two of these properties and can speak based on first hand experiences. As far as the money goes it’s more of a time issue than money in my opinion. Having bottomless pockets certainly helps and definitely speeds the process up.

That being said I’m not aware of many commercial outfits between here and Texas that offer wild quail hunts.

Last edited by Quackhead22; 11-11-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I am adding 2 more outfits to the spin put on here.

One is Kenny Lucas in Swansea. He raises a load of birds each year, approaching 80K I believe. He sells to other outfitters and puts on hunts himself. Late season he takes his dogs and goes to Texas. 803 767 1340

Billy Rhoads in Bamberg. Being an attorney supports is bird fetish. 803 707 6824. I believe is facebook page is half moon fields.

Both have dogs but you can bring your own. And both practise safe shooting practises. Well, I'd hope all do that...
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

So many great suggestions. As to pen raised vs wild , I wasn’t trying to start a debate. I doubt anyone is inviting my group to a private preserve with the last of wild birds. I have to work with what is available. Thanks

Hunted at cedar swamp today, Leon and Raymond and Ray were very hospitable and my boys had fun. I didn’t shoot a single shot and they did their best as my two sons missed more than they connected. Fishing Saturday, birds Sunday, even Len raised made for a nice thanksgiving kickoff. Thanks to all for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Hunted at cedar swamp today, Leon and Raymond and Ray were very hospitable and my boys had fun. I didn’t shoot a single shot and they did their best as my two sons missed more than they connected. Fishing Saturday, birds Sunday, even Len raised made for a nice thanksgiving kickoff. Thanks to all for the suggestions
    That’s great! Glad to have helped! Those Cantley’s are dang good folks! Let’s see some pictures!!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Came home with 21 birds, so it was fun for what these hunts are and it’s always fun watching the dog work. Thanks again for the suggestions.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Looks like you had a great time. Hunting wild birds will be a very different experience. You won’t shoot many if any birds, but the dog work is where you will derive most of your satisfaction. Wild birds are much more challenging for the dogs. It takes a special dog to work wild birds well. If you have a chance, try it sometime.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Looks like you had a great time. Hunting wild birds will be a very different experience. You won’t shoot many if any birds, but the dog work is where you will derive most of your satisfaction. Wild birds are much more challenging for the dogs. It takes a special dog to work wild birds well. If you have a chance, try it sometime.
    It’s almost as bad as crack cocaine. You’ll put on a ton of miles and hours in the field but when that wild covey flushes there is absolutely nothing like it in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I am adding 2 more outfits to the spin put on here.

One is Kenny Lucas in Swansea. He raises a load of birds each year, approaching 80K I believe. He sells to other outfitters and puts on hunts himself. Late season he takes his dogs and goes to Texas. 803 767 1340

Billy Rhoads in Bamberg. Being an attorney supports is bird fetish. 803 707 6824. I believe is facebook page is half moon fields.

Both have dogs but you can bring your own. And both practise safe shooting practises. Well, I'd hope all do that...
    I second Kenny. Good dude. Have bought birds and hunted with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    It’s almost as bad as crack cocaine. You’ll put on a ton of miles and hours in the field but when that wild covey flushes there is absolutely nothing like it in the world.
    Amen brutha
    At least I'm housebroken.

Last see season in December, our oldest was walking out from a morning deer stand hunt. Just walking down a fire break road and the earth erupts. I'll bet his pants got washed 3 times. He had never seen that. Nothing like wild birds....

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    Ray is good people
    Great people