Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gheenoe Refresh 2020

Default Gheenoe Refresh 2020

I bought this Gheenoe (early 1970's Model) in Dec 2018 for $800 w/trailer from a guy in Linville NC area. I bought my used Honda 5hp motor in May 2019 from a guy in Lake toxaway.
    I Duck hunted with it a couple times in Dec/Jan 2018/2019 season and took it to Fontana Lake For a house boat trip in May 2019, using just a trolling motor. Picked up the Honda OB on the way back from Fontana lake trip. With the motor and as bought paint job, duck hunted the 2019/2020 season on some lakes and rivers the foothills of NC.
    Started the Refresh project in June 2020. I had to work on the Refresh sporatically thru the summer and fall do to My wife and Daughter had knee injuries that required surgery and In home help for recover.
    So thats the back story. Here are the pictures of the process. I had to do some repairs to the Keel and seats too. I just finished with my seat bases on Friday 11/7, just have to final camo paint when it comes in.
    Copy of Gheenoe Purchase 12-2018.jpgCopy of Inside Boat Camo 1.jpgCopy of Inside Boat Camo 3.jpgAttachment 6057720200830_141220.jpg

Y'all catch any at Fontana?

More Pictures. These are not in any logical order, having trouble with picture size and editing every picture to get under 200kb, a pain.Copy of Boat painting stations.jpg

Outside camo pattern layers, inside primer and the base coat, styx river neo mat for stern of boat, fire ext mounted with "righr stuff" gasket maker. I had a custom cover made gor fire ext also. 3/4 PVC for wire conduit riveted to gunnel with one hole straps, seen in pic with fire ext.
    RLC hazel splotch 2.jpgRCL transom hazel splotch.jpgRedleg camo bottom and side.jpgRLC transom finish .jpgEpoxy keel guard 2.jpgEpoxy keel guard.jpgTransom primer coat.jpgInside base coat.jpgTransom neo pad in natural gear camo.jpgFire ext mounted using Right Stuff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valeflyfisherman; 11-08-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Custom motor cover, had it made last week. And boat in the river for Nov 7 hunt.Custom motor cover 11_2020.jpgCustom motor cover 2.jpgGheenoe on duck hunt Nov 7 2020.jpg

Looks great. Love the paint

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Y'all catch any at Fontana?
    We accessed Fontana lake from a private boat launch at the mouth of Sawyer Creek.
    Stayed on a small house boat about 1.75 miles out and we were about 1/2 mile from the main lake. Only had a trolling motor and 2 batterys. So didnt venture far from our boat house. Didnt want to have to paddle far.
    We fished in a few of the small coves behind and near our boat house, where the creeks dropped in and a lot of wood and some trash debris collected, caught a few bass. Brim and a catfish. Water at our house boat was 150' deep, (owner told us that) i didnt have a depth finder at the time.
    We plan on going back in the spring and camp at Cable cove. Its only about $15 a night there and there is a state boat ramp about 1/2 mile from the camp ground. The house boat was small but nice.

We did go back in July and rented a house boat with a floating covered patio attached about 150yds from the Fontana Marina. Fished behing there also. Caught some nice bass and a good size catfish that was pulling the gheenoe as much as I reeled him in.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Looks great. Love the paint
    Thanks.
    Rattle canned it, big mistake, under estimated the amount of cans, brush and rolled the base coat inside with 1/2 gallon. I should have just bought the spay gun and some qts and gallons would have been easier and probably less expensive. Plus the paint from RegLeg camo has a data sheet on the paint and gives directions on using with a spray gun.
    I just have to finish my permanent electrical and finish my final camo on seat bases.

Small world. I have a key to that landing. Remind me net time y'all go and I will shoot you some info on what/where...

Nice work! Looks good

It just disappeared pulled up on the bank Saturday.

More pictures.
    Front and rear bench seats reinforced with .062 aluminum plate. I ran out of the final Brown camo paint for now.
    Fire ext cover and 5 switch panel

Fire ext cover.jpgFront bech seat.jpgRear bench seat.jpg5 switch panel.jpg

That looks good. I love the refurbish threads

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That looks great. Based on experience hitting something solid while on plane and getting thrown to he floor halfway to the bow while wearing kill switch lanyard, shorten that kill switch. Based on my experience if you went in the water from the back, The prop would likely run up your back before the kill switch stretchy lanyard stretched out enough to pull off the kill switch. I shit canned mine and used 6-8” of parachord. Never thought about it before but got to take into consideration length if your arm span, for what it’s worth.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

The fire extinguisher wouldn't be legally required here right?

In SC only if you have a built in tank or a tank that can’t readily removed from boat (I interpret that as in a compartment or strapped down)

0954EC83-71AF-4296-86AF-06E20722754A.jpg

My old river hawk. Someone came and picked it up last year for free. I hope to see a refurb thread on it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    The fire extinguisher wouldn't be legally required here right?
    Not sure about SC but NC requires it.