Thread: Re-storing old rifle

Default Re-storing old rifle

I have a Winchester 60-20 .22 that has been passed down years ago. It’s about time for the little man to get his time at the range and I am looking to put this old .22 back together. This was the same gun my grandpa taught me to shoot on and I would appreciate any real help.
    I have attached two pictures. The front sight has been damaged and wanted opinions on whether it was something that I can get fixed or not. The rear slide sight is missing the slide and I cannot find one anywhere. Is there any place/website that might be able to help in finding these parts?

1E0033F9-F194-44F0-87A6-50D602F0ECB5.jpgE406A071-A341-45B2-B2A8-1D04049D76DE.jpg

Default Sight

Is this what the sight use to look like?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

That’s a single shot, right?

If I’m not mistaken that’s a very siniliar gun to a Remington model 33. The slide ramps would be interchangeable I bet
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Check Numrichs for parts and schematics.

Check that front sight to see if it’s removable, and it may only go one direction, so measure the dovetail slot width on both sides.

That rear ramp should be fairly standard. At least that’s my guess, or another model could be modified to fit.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

As mentioned above, start with Numrich’s. Most dovetailed sights are installed from right to left. They are removed left to right. You will need a brass punch to move them. Midwest Gun Works and even Brownell’s may have what you need. Those sights look pretty standard.

Thanks a lot for the quick responses. I’ve been tied up today and haven’t been able to check anything.
    When you say that the front sight comes off, that was my biggest fear that it would not. I’ll get on this tonight hopefully but wanted to thank y’all for now.

It was a long week at work so I finally have time to get back at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    As mentioned above, start with Numrich’s. Most dovetailed sights are installed from right to left. They are removed left to right. You will need a brass punch to move them. Midwest Gun Works and even Brownell’s may have what you need. Those sights look pretty standard.
    I haven't tried their site yet but thanks, now that I know that I can actually do this myself that helps a lot. I didn't want to have to take it into a shop or have them make a new sight. I will take a look tonight and see if it looks removable. I google'd a video of this and it looks like it just slides out ? clamp into a vise grip and punch it out ?

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Is this what the sight use to look like?
    I think that is almost identical. I found a website that has parts for the 60 series but are you saying that as long as I have the dimensions, I can get any old universal sight and don't have to track down an original part ? I like the one you had because it has the gold bead.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    yes, that is exactly it. thank you. I went ahead and bought that

Use a file or sharpening stone to work the BOTTOM of the dove tail down for a fit. If it is too big. Just go slow, file a little and check for fit often. Should be able to push it in by hand about 1/3 or so when you have it close to where it needs to be before tapping in with a mallet and punch or such. If that’s not the sight then look at marble arms.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Ok I tried punching it out. I realized that someone cut the barrel down , cut out the area by hand and installed the sight. So the grove is not a clean cut at all. The sight is also pretty jammed in there. I hit it but is there a lube or grease that I should use to help? Maybe spray some barrel cleaner and let it soak in the area too?

Liquid Wrench.

Get a bigger hammer, (old blacksmith trick)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Liquid Wrench.
    Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    Get a bigger hammer, (old blacksmith trick)

Got both, I’ll give it a try tomorrow !

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Ok I tried punching it out. I realized that someone cut the barrel down , cut out the area by hand and installed the sight. So the grove is not a clean cut at all. The sight is also pretty jammed in there. I hit it but is there a lube or grease that I should use to help? Maybe spray some barrel cleaner and let it soak in the area too?
    Find some penetrating oil like Kroil and let it soak overnight. I'd then try tapping it out with a brass punch.