Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grilling ducks

Default Grilling ducks

I mean, it’s no boneless chicken breast, but this has been my favorite way this year to eat ducks. I’ve been blessed to have only shot teal, mallards and woodies this year. Any that aren’t too shot up get picked, split, and plopped on the grill. Crispy duck skin rivals bacon as the best taste experience in my book.
    175F04D5-30B3-487B-9AC6-056B7F4570D1.jpg734D17AB-81B7-4435-B9CA-062C7DBC9914.jpg

Looks great!!

Marinated in something or just rubbed with spices? Might have to try this with some wigeon or pintail this weekend!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I used some mojo marinade. Maybe 6 hours in it. I couldn’t taste the marinade, but I could the rub I put on it

Are you picking them by hand or with some sort of plucker?

Been wanting to try this with wood ducks, but I don’t have the patience to pick them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I will say, I love plucking a breast then removing it skin attached.
    However, I did this on a pair of fat, grade A woodies last week but also included the legs then put them on a thick paper plate covered with paper towels for two days.
    Inadvertently, it removed much of the bloody moisture and produced an incredibly tasty piece of duck.
    I seared them skin down until the fat rendered and the skin shriveled up then flipped over to sear.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Are you picking them by hand or with some sort of plucker?
    I do both. These I used a “fowl plucker” but I’ll pick them by hand most of the time. I like to gut the ducks day of, leaving the feathers on and let them it in the fridge a day or two. Fresh shot ducks don’t pluck as well in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Been wanting to try this with wood ducks, but I don’t have the patience to pick them

Well, find some patience. It’s worth it

20191130_104506.jpg

20191130_104520.jpg

don't overpower a summerduck

I pluck doves.. duck - summerducks, mallards, and teal.. as for local regulars. I won't pluck a ringneck, and a few others. Some though, I'll breast out if I've got a dish in mind for it. The skin is staying on most of my plucked list if I breast, all dependent on where I kill it. The bad shit they eat will go into the fat.

I'll soak those boogers for a little bit in decent maple syrup.. with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and some garlic. Depending on the mood maybe some fresh thyme.. or reduce down leftover syrup with a couple dashing of cayenne and then basting that on.. scrumptious

Maple and cayenne is the yum yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'll soak those boogers for a little bit in decent maple syrup.. with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and some garlic. Depending on the mood maybe some fresh thyme.. or reduce down leftover syrup with a couple dashing of cayenne and then basting that on.. scrumptious
    When you smoke the whole ducks (I think I saw that in another thread), do you sear the skin after or is it good to go right out of the smoker?

It's good to go out of it. Cooking ducks with good skin, skin on, really adds to it. But it's not farm raised, were really not getting all of the lovely fat like those. The pic of the above was one where I got it about right, it's a process trying to learn each duck smoking. I do it for the flavor and to mess around. If I needed a go to, it would be a higher temp and faster quick roast. I can't stand overcooked ducks. Or ribeyes, or doves, or deer loins, tenderloins, really anything except for nasty chicken.

Smoke ducks, pick ducks, slice a baguette in half lengthwise. Toast baguette, smear Brie or similar cheese on said baguette. Add picked duck. Put it back together. Wrap in foil. Pop back in Oven to warm. Open back up. Add arugula and a blackberry balsamic reduction. Put back together. Slice. Loosen your belt.

All and all, I think a lot of people's laziness makes them miss out on some good things in life. Like what mudminnow has mentioned, take the time and pick some birds. It's worth it. Breasting out every bird you kill and wrapping it in bacon is f'n shameful.

20201103_190710.jpg

For Hoggin, close
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-30-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    20201103_190710.jpg

For Hoggin, close
    Looks delicious!