Thread: Halloween Doe Kill

Default Halloween Doe Kill

Pictures to come later this week. Having trouble emailing from my iphone and I don't have tapatalk. I may have to rectify that soon.

Two fawns and two grown does came out of the bottom at 7:45 AM Saturday morning. I waited until one of the big ones turned broadside and put the pin in the sweet spot and let it fly. I heard her crash seconds upon entering the woods but waited an hour anyway.

Texted BigTimber2 with a pic of the arrow and he thought the pink on the vane indicated a double lung. No blood in the mud, though, and none on the log she had to cross to get back into the thick stuff.

So, I voted for caution, drove home and got my new dog, whom we adopted two months ago. Great big old mutt with eyes that don't match. Color of black lab, hips like a rottie, ears and snout like a dachshung, but a heart and nose of gold!

Our neighbors were moving away and didn't want to take this big sweet dog with them. We'd loved her since she was a pup. Plus, we had to put our lab down in August. So adopting this six year old big old mixed breed was a no brainer. The owner said she was great at finding down deer, too. Just a big sweet, obedient, smart dog. We took her on our anny trip a few weeks back to the Outer Banks and she loved it.

I kept her on the leash, took her to the arrow sticking up in the mud, and this dear sweet 90 pound mixed breed dog very calmly took me straight to my deer which was laying dead about 40 yards into the woods right about where the thick brush started.

FWIW, the processor weighed the doe at 86 pounds. Horry County doe. I hunt in a club along the Waccamaw River basin in SC near the NC border.

We’d love to hear more details!! ...... nice job

Nice job!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Congrats again, good decision.

Nice job. Congrats
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

The big dog earned her keep. I'm getting to the point that I enjoy the trailing more than the shooting. It even affects my aim point.

Get a roading harness and teach her to help you drag it out of the woods.

I got one of my first shorthairs to help me find a deer in a pinch. A deer ran into the woods and I had forgotten to even bring a flashlight. On a whim, I decided to put on her roading harness that I used to endurance condition her by pulling me on a skateboard. I put her on the scent and she practically dragged me to the deer. Once she found it, I tied the harness to the deer and told her to pull. She went wild! She'd pull it 20 or 30 yards, then turn around and go bite it, then run up and love bite me and go to dragging it again. I'm sure it was one of her favorite days of her whole life... mine too.

Good deal on the adoption! I've never been able to understand how people can give up a good dog.

Once they get a taste and know why you are taking them it is routine. Like us riding a bike. Great stuff and keep that peeler on every recovery wkendr. They can do miracles with their nose. I had my 15 year old golden die over the summer and he was special at locating wounded deer with a sub par nose. A bow hunters best tool in my opinion.

Nice work and congrats to both of you!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'