Thread: Libs buy hunting rights

Default Libs buy hunting rights

Island-based group buys hunting rights to thwart trophy kills
    Roxanne Egan-Elliott / Times Colonist
    OCTOBER 31, 2020 06:00 AM

A Sidney, BC-based conservation organization has raised more than half a million dollars to buy the exclusive commercial hunting rights to a huge swath of the Great Bear Rainforest, with help from the star power of a couple of Islanders and donations from around the world.

Raincoast Conservation Foundation is on a mission to buy out all hunting guide outfitters in the entire Great Bear Rainforest to put an end to trophy killing of carnivores in the region, which is home to grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, cougars and wolverines. International hunters are required to use an outfitter, but B.C. residents are not and can still hunt in the region.

The foundation’s fifth and latest purchase *covers 530,000 hectares (1.4 million acres) of the region, giving it commercial hunting rights to about half the Great Bear Rainforest, which stretches 400 kilometres along the coast of B.C. from Knight Inlet to the Alaska Panhandle.

“What’s been eliminated is the ability for people to come from around the world to kill black bears, kill wolves,” said Brian Falconer, who fundraises for and negotiates the purchases for Raincoast. “[They] kill cougars and wolverines and* *everything else and just basically take the head and the hide home.”

Renowned wildlife and landscape photographers Paul Nicklen and Cristina Mittermeier, who live in Nanoose Bay when they’re not travelling the globe for National Geographic, lent their voices to the campaign, releasing a five-minute video of coastal wolves and a personal plea from Nicklen to help protect the animals.

Nicklen invited his 6.7 million Instagram followers to “come on a journey with me to witness the remarkable coastal wolves of British Columbia.”

The video, shot on remote islands off the coast of Vancouver Island, captures wolves feasting on marine life and howling on empty beaches, and playful young pups wrestling. In the video, Nicklen, who with Mittermeier co-founded Sea Legacy, a non-profit ocean conservation organization, says the most obvious of the many threats facing coastal wolves is recreational hunting.

Within minutes of the video being posted, donations started pouring in from across B.C., the U.S., Germany, Sweden, the U.K., India and Australia. That money helped Raincoast reach its $650,000 goal to buy exclusive commercial hunting rights from Angus Morrison, who was running Wild Coast Outfitters in the region.

Morrison, who grew up hunting and fishing, approached the foundation about buying his rights, because he “couldn’t justify” being in the *trophy-hunting business anymore, he said.

“I just feel wildlife should be worth more alive than dead,” Morrison said, adding wildlife populations in the region are still healthy, and he wants that to remain the case.

“I don’t want it to get to the point that it is declining there as well, and then you decide it’s time to stop.”

His customers came from the U.S., Europe, Australia and New Zealand, along with a small number from B.C. About 90 per cent wanted to hunt a mountain goat, which cost them about $20,000 for a 10-day field trip.

B.C.’s Wildlife Act requires the owner of guiding rights to facilitate hunts, so Raincoast plans to run “hunting” trips in the region, as they have in other areas where they own commercial hunting rights.

Raincoast’s trips resemble an outfitter’s hunting trip, but their guests, who tend to be supporters of the foundation, are “very fussy,” Falconer said.

“They are people that, the way I phrase it, they are very particular about the animal that they’re looking for, and we just have never been able to find one.”

regan-elliott@timescolonist.com

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...lls-1.24230967

How long before one of these democrats gets ate by a bear or wolf ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    How long before one of these democrats gets ate by a bear or wolf ?
    Not soon enough

I will give them credit for using their own money and not asking government to shut down hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I will give them credit for using their own money and not asking government to shut down hunting.
    Yep. My original thread title was "How I would do it"...

BC resident hunters are probably happy, too.

Let them spend their money - then change the law so outsiders don't need a "guide" - just a local. Then trophy money starting flowing back to the community again...

Political problems always have political solutions.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 11-02-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I am way more interested in hearing how the Saskatchewan Guide Association's push for mandatory waterfowl guiding is going due to Wuhan than I an in what the ducks are doing this season*.

I am expecting that the loss of vital monies to small town Saskatchewan will be pretty painful. Mandatory guiding would just make that pain permanent. How to get that point across to the people who decide on such things before it happens is the question...

Mandatory guiding sounds like a pathway to what happened in BC...

Yep. I get the Canadian's ire at all the slapdicks from South Carolina coming in and guiding illegally. Dirtbags gonna dirtbag.

The cost of mandatory guiding would be substantial to many, many native businesses as local guides try to soak up and control every penny that comes across the border from breakfast to the last beer at night...

I suspect this to be just the start. Liberals/Anti-Hunters, et al, have been infiltrating Wildlife organizations and boards at local and State levels for years. I have no doubt we have our share of them here in SC, also.

I wonder if we'll ever read the news reports about all the people who will end up as chow for these bears and wolves over the future years now that they won't have any predators after them.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I suspect this to be just the start. Liberals/Anti-Hunters, et al, have been infiltrating Wildlife organizations and boards at local and State levels for years. I have no doubt we have our share of them here in SC, also.

I wonder if we'll ever read the news reports about all the people who will end up as chow for these bears and wolves over the future years now that they won't have any predators after them.
    Yep - I'm amazed how quickly alligators with their walnut-sized brains figured out that we were trying to kill them and learned to steer clear. I suspect a large-brained, warm-blooded mammal will learn the opposite just as quickly, presumably quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yep. I get the Canadian's ire at all the slapdicks from South Carolina coming in and guiding illegally. Dirtbags gonna dirtbag.

The cost of mandatory guiding would be substantial to many, many native businesses as local guides try to soak up and control every penny that comes across the border from breakfast to the last beer at night...
    Don’t forget the squaws

I've heard a radio ad around here mentioning an org than does the same thing but haven't caught the name yet.

650k and not have to guide anyone no more. Show me the money!
    Low country redneck who moved north

The anti hunters don't sit still and will fund to their last dime. Hunters are still not aware of their power nor cunningness nor drive , maybe they don't want to be , I can't figure it out. It's been my biggest battle by far.

Why is that?
    Genesis 9;2