Thread: Marine gauge style radio

Default Marine gauge style radio

Looking for a decent marine radio for the aluminum boat and been leaning towards the gauge hole style receivers over the larger standard style head units. Don’t plan to put more than two speakers in it. All of them seem to have mixed reviews and a lot of folks say they crap the bed after a year. Anyone got one they’d recommend?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

If you're only wanting 2 speakers I would just buy a portable Bluetooth speaker. You'll be able to use it wherever you want. Would be money better spent. If you want anything more get you an amp, speakers, and a Bluetooth dongle to plug into the amp and use your phone. Wouldn't be much more in cost.

He might want the radio for FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I went with the Kicker KMC2 head unit and 4 6” speakers.

Works well and plenty loud enough.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    If you're only wanting 2 speakers I would just buy a portable Bluetooth speaker. You'll be able to use it wherever you want. Would be money better spent. If you want anything more get you an amp, speakers, and a Bluetooth dongle to plug into the amp and use your phone. Wouldn't be much more in cost.
    The amp and dongle is what I did. Combine it with Apple Music, and never listen to the same song twice unless you so desire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

JL and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    He might want the radio for FM
    I’d prefer to have fm for when I don’t have phone service or wanted to listen to something other then the usual playlist.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    I’d prefer to have fm for when I don’t have phone service or wanted to listen to something other then the usual playlist.
    The beauty of Apple Music is you can download as many songs/playlists as your phone can handle. Can listen to them with perfect or no signal. I haven’t listened to FM radio in months

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Default Marine gauge style radio

I have the JBL PRV-175 in my boat. It has mixed reviews, but mine has been flawless since I installed it in 2015 I believe. They have a newer model out now. I ran it on two 6.5” jbl speakers until one blew this year and I could hear it over the two stroke wide open.. Installed JL audio 8.8’s and a small amp... now it’s loud...

The new kicker units are squared off on the front, but fit in the gauge hole as well.

Last edited by Fireman; 10-31-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    The beauty of Apple Music is you can download as many songs/playlists as your phone can handle. Can listen to them with perfect or no signal. I haven’t listened to FM radio in months

ThIS and same for Spotify. What is worth a shit in FM when you can make your own playlist form infinite options? Sports get ESPN app or google the game and something g on the internet will hav eit most likely. Where are you that you don’t have cell service, the swamp? Do t waste your tim eon a head unit for FM.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

On my 3rd kicker head unit under warranty