Thread: Recommendations for hunting boots

Default Recommendations for hunting boots

Well my trusty old Rocky’s finally bit dust.

Need new pair of boots , I have knee high rubber boots for early season but looking for something that is comfortable to wear and waterproof and insulation

I make a trip to IL every year and need decent insulated boot out there.

Most time around here I hunt in a pair of Hiteck hiker boots , I hate wearing boots . I also have a pull on pair of Rocky’s that I wear when on tractor and just farting around

I have had these Rocky’s at least 10 years probably longer, served me well but I know things have changed a lot

My feet general do not get that cold and honestly most of my hunting in SC is 90% of time in a box/tower blinds with heaters in them when it gets too cold

Budget is around $200

Comfort is main thing to me, like these Hitek hiker boots, seem very light and are waterproof
    Last edited by tprice; 10-31-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Danner pronghorn. You can get different types of insulation depending on your needs

What bay dog said.

What bay dog said.

I have various styles of Danner boots. All are extremely comfortable and fit well. The Pronghorn, Sharptail, and Alsea are great boots. The Vertigo 917 is wonderful if you’re looking for a hiking style.

These sharptails I’m wearing are nice

Take a look at Schnee's. They make a very good mountain boot. Also, there is no better pac boot.

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of danner alsea myself.

I assume you are wanting a more lace up style but might consider the Muck’s with heavy insulation. I wear them to Arkansas to duck hunt and they keep my feet warm down in the 20’s. Scent control, water proof, and pretty comfortable. Again, if you’re walking a lot maybe go a different route but I like the heavy Mucks for stand hunting.
    Last edited by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER; 10-31-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Not sure if they would be a fit for Illinois but after the recent work boot thread on here I bought a pair of Danner sharptails and they are absolutely awesome. Only had for a few weeks so not sure on durability over time but they broke in very quickly and are incredibly comfortable. Seem to be a good all around boot

I wear Danner sharptail and pronghorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Last year about this time I bought some Danner High Grounds. They were very comfortable. I wore them for a few months. During turkey season I noticed they may be starting to leak and not be waterproof. I sent them back and used store credit to buy a set of Powderhorns. Danner/lacrosse has excellent customer service. We will see if these powderhorns hold up. So far I like the powderhorns. I am done with buying the "tennis shoe" style boots. Seems like all of those boots, regardless of brand, that have the hybrid nylon/leather and the tennis shoe molded sole leak after a short-while. If these dont work out, I'm gonna spend the coin on something in the 3-400 buck range. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

If you want top quality I’d go with Schnee’s, Kennetrek, Crispi or something similar. From what it sounds like, that would be overkill for what you need.

I’d find a hiking boot that’s comfortable, and buy some really quality liner and heavy socks.

I bounce back and forth between some Merrell boots and a pair of Lacrosse hiking style boots that are supposed to be waterproof but aren’t. If it’s really wet, or I’m going through swamps/creeks/bogs, I put on lacrosse rubber boots. I’ve had really good luck with lacrosse rubber boots.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 10-31-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Crispi Lapponia

Thanks for the help, ordered a pair of Danner’s tonight