Thread: 1997 project jeep

Default 1997 project jeep

Like it says- just bought it for a project with my grandsons- 4 banger - stick, 130k miles- no doors, roof or windshield- had been slow rolled, and is slightly crooked.
    Has been re-geared and running 31-10.50's BFG all terrains( brand new), aftermarket front and rear heavy duty bumpers, 10k winch, led headlights and light bar, runs and drives great- looks like hell. Full roll cage around front and rear. Also missing the usual rust.

Plans- remove rear seat and build a box for the back- lower box( between the wheel wells) for off road gear- upper box ( full width and length of rear for guns etc) remount seat on the box- sell the AT's and get full mud tires- looks like General Grabbers MT's, CB, Bikini top, windshield, strip out carpet and rhino line inside, half doors, I have been told that swapping the shocks and coil springs with those that fit a Cherokee will give an instant 2" lift- if so- will do that. Homemade Camo paint job will be done.

This will be a learning experience- all 3 will learn to wrench on it, drive a stick and drive off road with it- it will be beat on through at least a couple grandkids, maybe all 5 if it survives- will not be a daily driver.

Ready for ideas from the resident Jeepers.

I paid $1500 for it

Post some pics Mark.

Unibody. Won't hold up under stresses without doors and or rear gate. I know a guy who ran the same type rig and it broke apart.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Unibody. Won't hold up under stresses without doors and or rear gate. I know a guy who ran the same type rig and it broke apart.
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

It has and will keep- the tailgate- something got to hold the spare- pics tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    What?
    It's my understanding that the way Cherokees are designed, they need to have the doors and the tailgates on and closed to maintain structural integrity. Otherwise, they twist back and forth, eventually cracking and breaking. I've never run one, but I know one guy who did and beat on it pretty good, and eventually it broke. It's been years, so I don't remember all of the details. I do remember reading on a 4x4 forum years ago about a few guys who wheeled Cherokees without doors and then could never get the doors back on and aligned.

It's a 2 door Wrangler- not a Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    It's my understanding that the way Cherokees are designed, they need to have the doors and the tailgates on and closed to maintain structural integrity. Otherwise, they twist back and forth, eventually cracking and breaking. I've never run one, but I know one guy who did and beat on it pretty good, and eventually it broke. It's been years, so I don't remember all of the details. I do remember reading on a 4x4 forum years ago about a few guys who wheeled Cherokees without doors and then could never get the doors back on and aligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    That’s what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    My reading comprehension sucks.

Carry on.

if it makes you feel any better, I didnt understand a fucking thing about his post other than he got an older jeep to mess with.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

For $1500, I'd say you did good. Yank those fenders off, lift it a bit, zip tie a piece of plexiglass in there for a windshield and roll out.

I have an ‘83 CJ7 and took off pretty much everything that doesn’t make it go or stop. No doors, no top, no heater, 258, 4 speed, 33” Super Swampers. It does have a radio but that’s about it. I’d drive it to Texas tomorrow if I never had to get over 55. And could probably fix anything on it with a crescent wrench and a trip to NAPA.

I need me bout 5 them dock floats
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I need me bout 5 them dock floats
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Adjustable lower trailing arms(front rear) and ditch the sway bars. 2" of lift isn't much but death wobble sucks even if it's not severe.

I'd say over the knuckle steering also but that front bumper has already ate up a ton of approach angle. Not really an issue though I don't guess in your area.
    Last edited by CurLee; 10-28-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Got the title and tag, made a couple minor changes and took it to put out corn and go muddin- the jeep done good even with AT tires- I was draggin bottom in some serious mud (I would not have driven my F150 FX4 with mud tires through these places) and never felt close to gettin stuck. No doors, roof or windshield guaranteed I got mud everywhere.
    I got a smile on my face and darn sure got my moneys worth.