Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant Salvania Weevils

And don't play with it. Sock it too it. Over kill is under rated when it comes to aquatic plants
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I take it that it is easily transferable to small ponds?

Its evil stuff. Its all over the place down there.

I get everyone wants a balance in the echo system so there is duck food, but the issue is when you get these non native species in the mix. You can regulate them. You can't negotiate with them. There is one answer and one answer only.

Kill it all. Keep it clean or these issue happen then it takes 2-3 years to clean everything up and it end up running everything from ducks, fishing, recreation, and electricity making.

And thats when the gloves come off. They have one mission and that is to make power!

Not support ducks or fish. Every time yall come up with these wonderful ideas to have vegetation they lack one component. NON NATIVE HYPER INVASIVE PLANTS.

So when you cultivate a arena in which the so called good stuff can thrive you also create a habitat in which the really really bad stuff can take a foot hold and fight from.

I have no issue in removing the stumps and seeing the bottom non, not at all.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    The law of unintended consequences. They said Kudzu was a great idea too.

We know what Sonar and Diuron do.

You want the stuff dead? Quit fooling around bringing in something that potentially does more harm than the problem.

Break out the arial attack, the fan boats, and run essentially depth charge line full of sonar.

All of it will be dead.
    All I got is: "good luck"
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Don’t squirt in your shorts Frosty.... they are doing what they can.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I don't think the weevils will do enough. Cold weather kills the weevils. They might need to build a temperature controlled nursery to keep a big supply of weevils for each spring.

They will also have to lower lake levels a lot during the winter to kill as much as possible,...……..like they did in the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I take it that it is easily transferable to small ponds?

yes. I found some under my spare tire Sunday when I had a flat. There was a good bit hidden under tire. Thank goodness, I have only been to Santee this year and no where else. I had been doing visual checks with what I could see.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-29-2020 at 01:24 PM.

It has made it to a large farm pond about 8 miles from the lake.

Between Elloree and 301 off 47.
    Cormorants and Wood ducks seem to be the only logical connection.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

^YEP
    Genesis 9;2

Now just imagine what other farm ponds and beaver swamps GS has already been inadvertently stocked. This stuff will turn up everywhere in the next few years.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

There is an isolated (hopefully) patch of giant salvinia in a small swamp just over the NC line from Nichols, SC in Fair Bluff, NC. I'm not sure what the NC folks are doing to combat it, but please report any giant salvinia outside of Lake Marion to SC DNR or Clemson Invasive Species Progam.

Is this what Cantey Bay is full of between 95 and 301?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Is this what Cantey Bay is full of between 95 and 301?
    Yep,I see big patches floating around 95 everytime I cross the bridge daily.

I was at the house yesterday doing some odds and ends and I saw some.

You can't play with something like this.

They did that with Hydrilla and it took over. The pendulum swung the other way and they nuked the lake.

I get y'all want a balance but this is what happens. It creates wonderful areas to foster cultivation of invasive species.

Now either you echo system buffs need to stand down and start calling for mass eradication or I can assure what will happen.

I've already described it above.

It would be easier for y'all to get off your high horse and realize most of the veg needs to be killed in order to save some of it or all of it will end up dead once this gets so out of hand and nothing but all out kill plan is evoked!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I was at the house yesterday doing some odds and ends and I saw some.

You can't play with something like this.

They did that with Hydrilla and it took over. The pendulum swung the other way and they nuked the lake.

I get y'all want a balance but this is what happens. It creates wonderful areas to foster cultivation of invasive species.

Now either you echo system buffs need to stand down and start calling for mass eradication or I can assure what will happen.

I've already described it above.

It would be easier for y'all to get off your high horse and realize most of the veg needs to be killed in order to save some of it or all of it will end up dead once this gets so out of hand and nothing but all out kill plan is evoked!
    Pretty sure carp don't eat it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

It probably came to N America by way of a pet store. Some idiot got tired of her guppies and poured everything into a local lake. From there its been transferred on boat trailers around the country. Its not good for fish ,ducks ,or anything else. Nobody has moved this stuff on purpose . Carp don't eat it and they don't have a selective herbicide for it.

Jet skis will be useless by next July.

Carp on a diet exclusively of GS will die.

SW338, by virtue of being an "invasive" it has nothing to do with whatever habitat, good or bad, was, is or will be in the lake. Sadly, GS will be one of the worst invasive SAV's SC waterways has ever faced and it can tolerate saltwater to some extent too.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 11-02-2020 at 06:49 PM.