Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Salvania Weevils

Default Giant Salvania Weevils

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I sure hope those little bugs do their job.

When it gets to the lower lake, it could be awful.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Yep, hope they are really hungry.

For once, something optimistic from Santee Cooper.
    U serious Clark?

Lets 's hope something controls it!

Check your boats and trailers. Unfortunately it’s only a matter of time before it’s in every lake in the state.

How bad is this stuff now?

For example, could you navigate the duck run course?

It has been a year since I have been to Pack’s. And I normally stay in the flats..

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    How bad is this stuff now?

For example, could you navigate the duck run course?

It has been a year since I have been to Pack’s. And I normally stay in the flats..
    No problem navigating the duck run course right now because of it.

I see exactly what you mean there.

I didn't mean anything other than I basically ran the duck course run a few weeks ago in my high tide with some friends, and weeds weren't a problem.

Curious if we created a hole for this weed with our over aggressive management of hydrilla???
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Curious if we created a hole for this weed with our over aggressive management of hydrilla???
    We will know if it jumps to the Cooper, from what I gather via reading the research it blocks out Hydrilla as well. Cold kills it well but likely kills the beetles too, so you have to keep stocking them when and if we ever get a long hard winter. Time will tell on the beetles hardiness as to our winters, hoping for the best.
    Genesis 9;2

Water hyacinth can double in 2 weeks, giant salvinia in 5 days. Cold weather will suppress growth, freezing temps will kill some GS as well as the weevils but this stuff is fixing to be a complete nightmare for SC. It can collapse an ecosystem starting from zooplankton and microorganisms on up. Given the nature of the Santee Cooper lakes, sadly it will spread and it will eventually make it into the Cooper river system be it carried by boat / trailer, birds or water flow.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Nature sure is a mother...

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    We will know if it jumps to the Cooper, from what I gather via reading the research it blocks out Hydrilla as well. Cold kills it well but likely kills the beetles too, so you have to keep stocking them when and if we ever get a long hard winter. Time will tell on the beetles hardiness as to our winters, hoping for the best.
    Its probably already in the Cooper and Santee rivers. Its floating down lake marion in large mats and the are thousands on individual plants everywhere.

Most of it is headed with the current to the spillway, but rest assured plenty would be headed down the canal.
    It would have to.

The lower lake may never be the same.

Pray for those little weevils.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

So from what Im gathering this is not a "good grass" in regards to duck hunting and fishing?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Better buy a Go Devil for the future. It's that bad.

Check your boat trailers because its caked up at every landing.

It's traveling down the Diversion canal and into the Santee river by way of the Russellville Canal and into the Cooper river by way of the locks and power generating station at Monks Corner.

The law of unintended consequences. They said Kudzu was a great idea too.

We know what Sonar and Diuron do.

You want the stuff dead? Quit fooling around bringing in something that potentially does more harm than the problem.

Break out the arial attack, the fan boats, and run essentially depth charge line full of sonar.

All of it will be dead.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot