Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It’s a little cold out there.

Hard to beat chasing upland birds on the Western prairie! That's outstanding!!! My sons and I are planning a trip out West next year with a GSP and Lab in tow!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I just got back from ND Saturday. It. Was. Cold. We killed our share of ducks. Fun mixed bags. We saw a good amount of pheasant and Huns. I plan on adding them to the bag next year. Beautiful lonely place up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Day 4- Going for broke

Started off this morning at a GPA. Right off the bat the dog flushes a rooster out of a hedgerow out of range. We had a talk about that and she calmed herself down. Got the wind in a good position and worked a planting of some sort of milo or sorghum. And put up a bird on the edge of range, 2 shots, no bird. We hit the end of the crops and Grace was birdy and trailing a runner. I followed over to the hedgerow and watched her slam on a point, the kind where they over run it by a step and twist back into a staunch position. I ease up and in true hunting fashion the bird flushes out to the side that keeps the cedar in between him and my itchy trigger finger.

It got up to a balmy 46 degrees today and I don’t need to explain to you what happens to snow at that temperature. If your under any illusions that a 2wd can get around up here, let me spare you some heartache.

We put on a lot of miles and saw a lot more hunters than in days previous. Made a few fruitless walks as well. Last walk of the day turned out to be pretty good. I had two opportunities, one of those I would consider a layup shot, I missed both. It doesn’t help that the layup was the last bird of the day.

Tomorrow’s plan is to hit a spot first thing on the way out of the state then start the long journey home. Grace is spent and I miss my 2 year old little girl more every day.

I’m very proud of Grace, she caught on quickly and handled things very well. She was a true testament to her breed and continued to hunt hard through bleeding pads and even a puncture wound to her chest. Pheasant hunting isn’t for the weak. It was our first time hunting truly wild birds and it was worth the trip to see her put it together.

I’ve learned a lot on this trip, first and foremost is that pheasants are not all that predictable. They are smarter than I wanted to give them credit for and they will embarrass you. Also, if I had to do this trip again, I wouldn’t without a minimum of two dogs. My idea of a dream team would be 2 hunters and 4 dogs. Bring your walking boots, you’re gonna need them. And since I brought up boots, Irish setters don’t live up to the task. Mine look like they have aged two years over the last 3 days.

Thank God for the prairie and the opportunity to come enjoy it, to Him goes the glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I was about to text you about SC resident geese the other day. Glad I didn't since you've been on real wild birds lol

Sorry but that's just too cool...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.