Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s a little cold out there.

Default It’s a little cold out there.

So the dog and I hopped in the truck for a trip that has been put on the back burner year after year, until now.

Day one was Sunday afternoon when we pulled in. After 1400 miles, we just needed to stretch our legs. Flushed 4 birds just out of range but most of the birds were outrunning us in the cattail-snow tunnels.

Day two- today

Did I mention it was cold? 12 degrees this morning when we got up with a zero degree wind chill. Quite the change from the 80’s we left at home.

First walk was very short and more of an experiment. We flushed 4 turkeys, not exactly the game bird we were after. Quick move to a cattail slough in cut corn. Watched 3 birds leave the slough when we pulled up and could hear more calling in the grass. Plodded and thrashed through best we could and put up one hen. That hurt my feelings.

Staying mindful of the dogs health/energy, we rode around for a good while looking at spot after spot. Finally pulled up to some CREP that was off the beaten path and figured we would give it a small run and go to town if nothing panned out quickly.

30 yards out of the truck led to a wild flush and two clean misses. “Come on Wes, you’re better than that.” After calling the dog back from her chase, she and I had a talk about paying attention and chasing. She reminded me that I’m supposed to hit the birds and we agreed to do better on the next one.

100 yards further and she starts getting birdy, then locked into a point. Now we are getting somewhere. I walk up just in time to see a flutter of movement through the grass. Not this again. I push hard into the cover and nothing. Dang. Release, the dog and we move on ahead while I mutter some prayers to God about this whole thing we got going.

The dog was moving hard through the grass again when I saw her put the breaks on. Two steps back the way she came and she came to a stop. Walked over there pretty quick but not exactly hopeful of putting a bird in the air. I was happy to be wrong this time. Bird goes up and the first barrel sends him right back down.

To make a long story short, the next two birds were done in the same fashion, one bird taking both barrels and we were done for the day.

God is good and we’ve got two and half more days of hunting left. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Hell yes! What area?

My phone didn't ring!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Not sure where you are but that's some beautiful country! I made the trip across country a month or so ago and came through South Dakota and Wyoming. There's definitely a few areas that I'd like to head back to with my boykin to chase birds. I'd have to make it an upland and waterfowl combo though!!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

We are in South Dakota. This place has always been like the ocean to me, something about being able to see for miles in every direction makes you feel so small. Beautiful place, God knew what he was doing.

Thomas, I’m sorry man. It really was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I’ve planned and cancelled a trip like this more years than I can count.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    We are in South Dakota. This place has always been like the ocean to me, something about being able to see for miles in every direction makes you feel so small. Beautiful place, God knew what he was doing.

Thomas, I’m sorry man. It really was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I’ve planned and cancelled a trip like this more years than I can count.

I know buddy. Kids make you be spur of the moment. Gotta go when you can. I was picking. But id love to put my draht on some pgeasant one day
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I’ll trade some grouse intel for pheasant intel.

Good shooting.

You’ve got a deal there. I’m thinking grouse next year. Or sharptails and Huns.

Or all of the above if I hit the lottery, but...

Super! Keep it coming.

Envious. Holler on the drive back. Look forward to hearing all the details.

Congrats Wes.

Awesome trip, beautiful birds and a fine looking dog.

This awesome

Very cool

I enjoyed reading that
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Beautiful dog and thanks for sharing.

Nice! Beautiful country and it looks chilly!

Default It’s a little cold out there.

Day 3- Murphy’s law

Well, today was a kick in the teeth. I wanted to get on birds early and give the dog some more rest, her feet are getting tender. The exact opposite occurred.

The plan was to start in the spot I shot a limit the day before. Normally I wouldn’t re-hunt an area but I had shot my limit without even touching 1/4 of the property. Evidently God allowed me to shoot the only 3 birds that called that field home yesterday because we didn’t even bump a bird today.

Left there went to a Game production area (GPA) and about 150 yards in I get a wild flush and hit the bird on a long second shot. Dog takes off into the cattails for the retrieve, it looked like a solid hit, but those cat tails were like a black hole sucking in matter to redistribute it to another dimension. To add to the suck that is losing a bird, upon pulling the trigger the 2nd time, every other rooster took notice and vacated the property. Yay.

The rest of the day was spent walking two more covers that were fruitless. The only time we found birds was conveniently when the wind was in the wrong direction. At that point a German wirehaired pointer becomes a German wirehaired flusher, which they don’t seem to mind but it doesn’t do well for my game bag.

The roosters won today. God is still good. It’s warming back up, my sincere apologies to the farmers using that un-maintained road, I did my best to not make a mess. It would have been nice to have a duck stamp today.

Last edited by MolliesMaster; 10-27-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Awesome- I love SD- and pheasant hunting