Thread: WY - Preference Points

Default WY - Preference Points

Can someone help clarify youth preference points in WY? Nov 1st is the deadline and I had planned on letting my kids start accumulating, or at the very least, my oldest to start accumulating.

Below, the fist sentence makes it seem like they can accumulate points so long as they are 11 when actually buying a license and 12 by the time they hunt. But the last sentence says they have to be 11 at the time of buying points.

Who's purchased youth points in WY? I'll call them when the office opens but was curious to see if I could get clarification here.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting/preference-points
    "Youth can start to collect preference points but he or she has to be at least eleven (11) years old at the time of submitting an application for a big game limited quota license in the initial drawing and must be at least 12 years old when in the field hunting. Youth can apply for preference points when they are 11 years old at the time of submitting a preference point only application and must be at least 12 years old by December 31 of that year."
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.

For those that would like to know, WY Game and Fish says the youth has to be 12 by the end of this week in order to buy a preference point. Hell, that's even different from anything written on their website. I'm going to ass-u-me the dude misspoke and meant the end of the year. Nevertheless, and youth under 12 can't accumulate points.

That doenst sound right. I read it as 12 by end of the years not application period. Try and apply, it wont let you if something is wrong.

Back at it. Now he is 11 and will be 12 during the application period but not 12 before the end of this year and the website is still not letting me buy him points. Guess Ill call again on Monday and try to clarify one more time.

Bought Jane points about four to six weeks ago but she's 13...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Best bet is to just try and buy them. The website will either let you or not when you enter the date of birth.