Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood draws

Default Hardwood draws

I love a hardwood draw that works through the planted pines.
    Having hunted on Timber company land for the last 20 years, I've hunted these draws but with marginal success.
    I've killed plenty of deer in draws, but never a big buck, and I've been busted far more times than I can count.
    When the white oaks are dropping, it's 24/7 food in the middle of some of the best bedding cover you can have.
    Not to mention the scrapes and rubs and just general deer sign in most draws is fun to look at this time of year.

But....damn the wind, or lack of a steady wind, the thermals, and how it all acts in a draw, I've yet to figure it out.

Older (and successful) hunter at the club this weekend said forget the draws, you just can't hunt them without getting busted.

What have you learned over the years about hunting these areas?

Morning vs evening tactics? Thermals go up (out of the draw in the am, and back down in the draw in the pm)?

Specific wind direction vs draw direction? Ex a true West wind on an East to West draw?

Ozonics , Bo.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I've made new hardwood draws out of several dozen Treecoys where wind doesn't act stupid and I've had unbelievable hunts.

30ft

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

If your friend's advice was true, no deer would die in Appalachia ever. You already named your best advice; you should follow it and have fun: hunt above the draw in the AM, below it in the PM. As to not killing "big" bucks there in your attempts, you can't kill what isn't there.

Hunters get winded often and never even know it. Especially the guys on TV who overthink and then mythologize the shit out of everything.

Hunt high, and might just be an AM only type place. Wind does weird stuff, especially in the afternoon.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    30ft
    This.
    In my experience, some are impossible to hunt without getting busted and some are not. Just have to hunt them to find out. Either way, hunting higher is going to help.
    And don’t discount the Treecoy idea from SW. I’ve seen the explosive results from one well placed Treecoy, I can’t imagine the payoff from several dozen well placed units.

Explosive.

Go up 40' and you're gonna need to you two Ground Grunter systems. Tape them together vertically with "tape". Now take a stick of Evercalm and eat it. The whole thing. Affix a respirator mask to your face and connect to ground grunt mouth piece with more "tape". Breathe exclusively thru your ground Grunter.
    If deer still blow you can snort a can of Nose Jammer but it will make your eyes water so go with the evercalm first.

You have to set up in these draws around the middle of July. Set up and stay. By November you will smell like the woods and the wildlife will be acclimated to your presence. Then just walk up to the big bucks and kill them with a stick.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Ozonics , Bo.
    Got one, pain in the ass, but you're right.

I need to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    This.
    In my experience, some are impossible to hunt without getting busted and some are not.
    This. And you will still get busted climbing 30ft. And just because you get "blown at" doesn't mean they are blowing at you or that they wont forget about it as so as the wind changes for 5 min. Had a group of does in a draw one afternoon that started blowing at me (I assumed they were because my wind should have been filling their nose up.) 5 min later I ran an arrow through one. Deer are gonna deer. I got blown at last week rifle hunting (I know thats not possible for some) but 10 min later a basket rack came strolling up from the trail I was getting blown at from.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I've made new hardwood draws out of several dozen Treecoys where wind doesn't act stupid and I've had unbelievable hunts.
    Treecoy? What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Got one, pain in the ass, but you're right.

I need to try it again.
    I don't own one, but this goober I hunt with once in a while swears by them.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Takes some time, trial and effort but you can learn thermals and do better than you think.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Treecoy? What is that?
    If you had to ask, you'd never effectively use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Takes some time, trial and effort but you can learn thermals and do better than you think.
    Spur - anything that you've learned about thermals that you can share?

Milkweed pods. When you are up the tree drop you a couple and watch them float, swirl and move. You will be amazed at what the wind actually does and the milkweed gives you something to watch.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

They don’t always go downhill but will back up side valleys depending on terrain. Just like water. Wind will change it further, just have to hunt a spot and pay attention to find out. I’ve hunted bottoms where two creeks come together and counted on thermals from one side to blow scent out toward opposite side and down, where I came in from during an eve hunt. Ditto for placing scent. Not saying it’s 100% but not complete guesswork either. Evenings seem to be the toughest, mornings usually have everything going up as the sun rises. Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 10-26-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

If you want to hunt it regular- go in a couple months before the season and hang up one of your dirty, sweaty shirts and leave it- go back every couple weeks and swap it with another- they will get used to the scent and think nothing about it- if you want to really train them every time you swap the shirt put up a small jar of peanut butter near by in your kill zone.