Thread: Alaskan Sawmills?

Default Alaskan Sawmills?

Any first hand experience with an Alaskan Sawmill? From what I have seen, they look reasonably simple. We have some large wind blown trees down and I hate to just watch them rot.
    Last edited by Two Barrels; 10-25-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Got to have a big saw. I’ve never used one but I know a few that have and with enough saw they can be worthwhile
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

A ripping blade helps as well.

Big saw is a must. Your Rancher or Husky HD special won’t be worth a crap. It’s a lot of work too. Look and see if you can find someone with a Norwood type portable bandsaw unit.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

ive wanted one awhile, Hadnt been able to justify that 1500 dollar stihl to run it though. If lumber prices stay this high for much longer I might can justify it. I wanted to build a swingset for my girls with 6x6's and id have 300 bucks just in 4 posts
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    ive wanted one awhile, Hadnt been able to justify that 1500 dollar stihl to run it though. If lumber prices stay this high for much longer I might can justify it. I wanted to build a swingset for my girls with 6x6's and id have 300 bucks just in 4 posts
    You don't think a stihl 461 or husky 372 would be big enough to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    They may, but a Husky 395 or most any 90cc-95cc saw will do a better job long term. Especially if running a longer bar.

If milling small wood the 372 or 461 will work.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    372 will work for smaller wood, 395 would be ideal
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson