Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW To Bowhunting

Default NEW To Bowhunting

New to the sport, I've been looking into buying a compound bow setup. I do not have the knowledge on what to look for in particular. I was going to start off by going to the South Irby Street Sporting Goods to get fitted, is that a good place to go? Also, I have seen bows that range from $300-$2000, how do you find out what fits for you? Are the super expensive ones really that worth it? I know, you get what you pay for, but I am just starting out. I have shot my brother's bow a couple of times but not to the point where I felt comfortable, maybe because it wasn't fitted to my draw length and weight. Mainly I want to get a bow to practice in my backyard at least until I am really proficient with it. There is no sense in going to a stand right away if I'm not accurate.
    If you guys have any tips on bow selection, and climbing stand recommendations, please let me know! I have a tall solid oak tree I would like to start practicing from in a stand once I get a bow figured out.

Anything helps! Thank you in advance everyone!!

Get you a summit climber and then get a bow that you feel most comfortable with and by that I mean shootability and pocketbook. No need to spend 1,000’s of dollars. Check out the hunting public guys. They do it all over the country with minimal gear and non-flagship bows.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    Get you a summit climber and then get a bow that you feel most comfortable with and by that I mean shootability and pocketbook. No need to spend 1,000’s of dollars. Check out the hunting public guys. They do it all over the country with minimal gear and non-flagship bows.

Thanks for the feedback!

I started in 2006, bought a used hoyt bow to try for a year to see if I was going to stick with it. In 2007 I dropped a little over 1300.00 for a brand new bow. Been with it ever since. I would suggest doing the same, not spending a ton on a new bow until you are sure you are happy bow hunting. It can be beyond frustrating but when it work out its beyond rewarding. Go to a pro shop, get measured correctly then take it from there. Don't get stuck on a brand, shoot different bows and get what YOU like. Check www.archerytalk.com for all the info you can stand and then some. Good luck

Where do you live, I’m sure someone can recommend a good shop to get fitted and practice. Take a lesson, they can help you with everything. I just started and it helped me a lot.

Thanks guys! And I’m in Florence
    Last edited by cmoore6; 10-25-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Since you’re in Florence drive to Crossroads Archery in Summerton. Just make sure you have plenty of time to kill because Scott will talk your ear off, but he’ll get you started in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Since you’re in Florence drive to Crossroads Archery in Summerton. Just make sure you have plenty of time to kill because Scott will talk your ear off, but he’ll get you started in the right direction.

Awesome I’ll check them out!

Souths Finest on Palmetto street used to be pretty good, been years since I was in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Souths Finest on Palmetto street used to be pretty good, been years since I was in there though.

Awesome I’ll check them out as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    And don’t believe half of his stories!
    But he does know bows and isn’t pushy to sell you the latest and greatest.

I’m selling my bow tech tribute in the trading post. Turn key setup would get you going right away. Perfect for an entry level archer.

This is a helluva deal on a great bow.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Bow-and-Decoys

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Dang good deal. I bought my first bow (switchback) off of SCDUCKS. Think going the used route is definitely way to go for first bow imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    This is a helluva deal on a great bow.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Bow-and-Decoys
    Those are great shooting bows

I have both the bow tech tribute which I am selling and the elite energy 32. And 2020 VXR 28.

VXR is the nicest but the Elite isn’t far behind. Just has a much different feel. For a new archer I would definitely recommend the used route. Can’t go wrong with either that elite or my bow tech I’m selling.

I paid $1200 or so for my elite with rest and everything back in 2017 so that is a pretty good deal. Keep in mind you’ll need to buy a rest and sight with that one which can get expensive depending on what brand you get. Best sights in my opinion are spot hogg and black gold. For arrow rests there are many directions you can go. I am partial to drop away rests but whisker biscuits are simple and good for new users.

The bow tech I’m selling has a whisker biscuit and single pin apex sight so you’re ready to roll. All for only $300.

Buy a used bow to start with. Archerytalk literally has thousands for sale. Unless you think you plan to keep the bow for a long time. If you think vehicles drop value when they leave the lot then you will be shocked how fast a bow loses value. $1200 bare bow new, shoot it 50 times, leave it in the closet until next year and the same bow will be bringing $600 if you sale.

You could get a nice used bow turn key for 600 or less. Just ask questions and make sure the bow will change draw lengths without needing modules or a cam swap. Otheriwse you will be looking for parts for the bow unless a nearby pro shop is a dealer.

Good luck and if you read ANYTHING in my post read this, ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand or you WILL shoot over his back. Ol Trad taught me that many years ago because I was shooting clean over deer and couldn't figure out why.
    Last edited by quack head 11; 10-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Buy a used bow to start with. Archerytalk literally has thousands for sale. Unless you think you plan to keep the bow for a long time. If you think vehicles drop value when they leave the lot then you will be shocked how fast a bow loses value. $1200 bare bow new, shoot it 50 times, leave it in the closet until next year and the same bow will be bringing $600 if you sale.

You could get a nice used bow turn key for 600 or less. Just ask questions and make sure the bow will change draw lengths without needing modules or a cam swap. Otheriwse you will be looking for parts for the bow unless a nearby pro shop is a dealer.

Good luck and if you read ANYTHING in my post read this, ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand or you WILL shoot over his back. Ol Trad taught me that many years ago because I was shooting clean over deer and couldn't figure out why.
    I appreciate the information! That is very helpful. Also thanks for the tip! I’ll try it out once I get one.

You're going to need a bow, arrows, quiver, arrow rest, sight, release, practice tips, broadheads, a practice target, a stand, maybe a ladder, DEFINITELY a good safety harness, and probably a good tracking dog.